• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps android sdk

bsliv

Jun 23, 2014
I thought I'd try my hand at app development but have run into many roadblocks.

First issue was trying to install the sdk. It kept giving me too long of path names. Eventually, I think it unzipped properly. But with a folder name of 'adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140624' its no wonder the path name is too long. How do command line users deal with this?

Second issue was with the Eclipse interface. I click on eclipse.exe and a program starts. I'm not sure its eclipse tho. All it says is 'Resource' on the first line of the window. 'Help', 'About' only shows some icons. Is this Eclipse?

Fourth issue is something found 107 apps I developed for the Blackberry. WTF!? I don't think Blackberry apps will work on the Android. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fifth issue was trying to follow the Android Developers Getting Started Guide. I got past step 1 but failed on step 2. The guide states, "In the window that appears, open the Android folder, select Android Application Project, and click Next." The guide should say, "Click 'File', 'New', 'Project', expand 'Android', select 'Android Application Project'. Click 'Next'."

Sixth issue was with the guide again. It says the manifest file is important and should contain certain things. But the guide fails to say where to find the file and how to edit the file. Still stuck here.

Seventh issue was with the guide again. To run the app, it says, "In the Run as window that appears, select Android Application and click OK." Under the 'Run' window is one option, 'External Tools'. Under 'External Tools' is the option 'Run As' but 'none applicable' is the only text under that option.

I have yet to see anywhere I can start typing code.

What is the preferred method of creating apps? I'd like to use an integrated development environment but not if instructions are wrong. I'm willing to use notepad to code. Is there a compiler guide that is useful?

I understand struggling with code issues but can't understand why its so tough to get there.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones