1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android security concern, plz help!!!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ivang84, Aug 17, 2019.

1. ivang84

ivang84 Lurker

so i have a situation...is it possible for someone to gain access to my s9+ to view texts etc...can this be done without previous phone access to plant spyware, apps or root of any kind, can this be done with just a phone number through some online 3rd party?

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

nope something needs to be installed first. there is no way to do that remotely.

3. ivang84

ivang84 Lurker

can something be done through google, of the other party somehow got in to my google acct?

4. ocnbrze

if someone was to know your google acct info, i guess.

5. ivang84

ivang84 Lurker

thank you for your help! i changed my google password...other than that i guess im in the clear?!

6. ocnbrze

depends.....care to explain what is going on?

7. ivang84

ivang84 Lurker

ex gf told current one she has access to all my texts

8. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Can she prove it? :thinking:

puppykickr and ocnbrze like this.
  9. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Ok hit me. Why'd it really matter if your ex could show texts to your current unless you'd actually sent them? :thinking:

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

there is no way to remotely access your text that's on your phone. but changing your google password is a good start......i think you are in the clear.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  11. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Text messaging is based on your phone number so a basic scenario is someone, who happens to know you and a lot of your personal details, could contact your phone carrier and while claiming to be you will attempt to take control of your phone number. A lot of scamming and cracking going on now isn't just tied to passwords and such, the fact that so many of us have numerous social service accounts that social engineering has become a real weak point. Be sure to log into your cellular carrier account, change your password and if they provide any other services to secure your account, i.e. adding a passcode, two-factor authentication, think about implementing them.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/358352/criminals-can-steal-your-phone-number.-heres-how-to-stop-them/
    As for changing your Google account password, don't forget about any other online accounts like Facebook, etc. If one service gets compromised it's that social engineering factor that could allow access into other online services you use. And while something like a keylogger installed on your phone is a possibility, it's not as likely as the media portrays. Your online presence is a much bigger target with more exposure.
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3268904/android-security-facts.html
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3411440/android-security-scares.html

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.