1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android security question (visited hacked website...)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tbessie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. tbessie

tbessie Member
    None

May 2, 2011
    Hey folks, question for you...

A website I use from time to time appears to have been compromised by hackers (it redirected to a Russian website and started downloading an APK). I have told the website owners and they've fixed it.

A glutton for punishment (and because I couldn't believe the site had been hacked), I visited the site several times using my Nexus 5, to make sure this was actually happening. The download seems to have started a few times, but may have completed at one point (I think the phone asked me "Are you sure you want to download this file? It potentially contains malware" or something along those lines - this was a few weeks ago, so I don't remember everything I did).

My question is this - I had enabled installation of APKs that I didn't get from the Android store (since re-disabled). In a situation like what I described, can a download from a website *force* an installation of a malicious APK? I believe I answered "no" to Android's question about if I wanted to download the file, but if I had said "yes" by accident, would I still see some kind of installation method?

I ran a couple of anti-malware checkers on the phone afterwards, and they found nothing.

I'm just getting paranoid, so wanted to check here to see if anyone's experienced this before, and what I should expect my phone to have told me in a case like this.

- Tim

Advertisement

2. Sandgoose

Sandgoose Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    I don't think a site can force you to run an apk? do you have sideloading enabled? if not as far as it would get anyway would be the prompt "enable sideloading blab blah in options"

if you are really still not sure about it just nuke the site from orbit, the only way to be sure (by which I mean backup your stuff and do a factory reset)

:)

3. tbessie

tbessie Member
    None

May 2, 2011
    I had "Unknown Sources" enabled at the time - if that's what you mean by sideloading, then yes (tho' I've since turned it off).

I'm hoping to avoid a factory reset, since it took me a million years to set up the damn thing originally. :)

That's why I was wondering if antimalware apps would likely detect it, or if I should see anything in the browser Downloads folder, or see a new installed app in the app list, etc. I guess sufficiently advanced malware could hide all traces of its exploits, eh?

- Tim

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    You would have to accept installation for it to do any harm so unless you might have hit "yes" at the installation screen theres nothing to worry about.
    you could have a look through the application manager to see if theres anything that looks like it shouldnt be there and google the app name

Unforgiven, lunatic59, davoid and 3 others like this.
  5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    This. Even if a site can automatically download an APK, you still have to click the Install button - and that's only after you've allowed installing apps from unknown sources.

Unforgiven and funkylogik like this.
  6. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Android is really safe in that respect :)
    Just had a thought. If youre worried about the apk, it should be in your sdcard/download folder so use a file explorer to go in there and delete it

7. tbessie

tbessie Member
    None

May 2, 2011
    Definitely nothing there. I asked over at Brighthand, tho' (where many old-timers like me hang out), and the moderator suggested that even if it doesn't seem like anything has been installed, for all I know there could be some "harmless-seeming" app that "activates" code sitting in the browser cache or something like that. This kind of thing has been discussed online (I've read some articles about it); some have recommended being better-safe-than-sorry and factory resetting, but I shudder to think of starting from scratch (I have a LOT of apps and settings, many of which I can't back-up).

- Tim

8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Is the phone rooted?

FDR is my first suggestion as well if you're really worried about malware. Better yet, a fresh install of a factory image.

9. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    To me that sounds like misinformed scaremongering Tim. Android is very different to windows but then im very relaxed when it comes to security.
    The way i see it, on an unrooted phone, malware has nowhere to hide :thumbup:

10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    That assumes it doesn't use an exploit to gain root, but I agree. ;)

funkylogik likes this.
  11. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    ^ what he said lol :D

12. tbessie

tbessie Member
    None

May 2, 2011
    Not rooted, no. Probably not being rooted is better in a case like this, eh? (no chance of malware getting into system files etc?).

13. tbessie

tbessie Member
    None

May 2, 2011
    Hmm - are there exploits to gain root on an unrooted phone with a locked bootloader? I thought that was impossible (even on a Nexus 5).

14. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I think root can still be gained on a locked device but I also think rxpert was just playin with us and the odds of that happening are negligible :D

Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    There are certainly software level root exploits.

That's how all the one click root apps work(ed). Most known exploits are patched as time goes on, but it depends on how up to date your phone is.

In reality, the chances of that are pretty low.

funkylogik likes this.