1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

android software redownload

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Android Question

hey all :) , i want to know if there is anyway to redownload a software update for an android phone ...or how to remove the whole software from the device and put it again fresh and new.
    if there is , please do tell me or give me a helpful link for doing what i want to do :)

p.s:i have an HTC desire phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are many different "Desire" models from HTC, so to give specific advice we'd need to know which. "Desire" with no qualifier would imply the original, 4-year old, 3.7" screen model, but I'd not want to assume that, especially since it must be 3 years since a software update for that phone was released but it sounds like yours was more recent.

If you want to completely reload your phone's software you want to use a ROM Update Utility (RUU). This is a Windows app which will check your phone's current software, and the original branding of the phone, and if these match (i.e. correct "customer id" and the existing software is not newer than the RUU) it will completely reload the phone's software. To run it, connect the phone via usb and run the RUU .exe on a PC. If in doubt put the phone in "fastboot" mode first (boot while pressing the "volume down" key, and when you get the white bootloader screen select "fastboot" from the menu).

Note: an RUU will wipe the phone completely (i.e. does a factory reset), so back up all of your important data before trying to use it.

You can find RUUs at shipped-ROMs or androidruu. Both of these organise their RUUs by device, but use the device codename in most cases (so e.g. the original Desire is "Bravo" in this catalogue). So you do need to know what you are looking for.

If you want more guidance, you could register and post some more information about your phone. Then we might be able to help identify the correct RUU for your device.

sternbul and motaz123 like this.
  3. motaz123

motaz123 Lurker

i registered now sorry for being late , i have an HTC desire 500 and as i said .. i have few errors from the software update it self ... so i wanted to know a way for re-installing the software itself or do an update again to fix my problem ... and it is totally okay with me to lose all the data as long as it fixes up my phone .

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS motaz123 ! :party:

Here's a link to our HTC DESIRE 500 forum:

HTC Desire 500 - Android Forums

As you can see,there's not a whole lot of activity for your particular handset.

Have you reached out to HTC Support for your issues?

If not,if you could let us know which region you're in,we could get you pointed in the right direction.

However,in the meantime,pleas feel free to chime-in @ our HTC DESIRE 500 forum,there may be someone there who may be of assistance.

5. motaz123

motaz123 Lurker

i am in middle east :) , and i will check the HTC DESIRE 500 forum right now. hope someone can solve my problem.

6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

motaz123 likes this.
  7. motaz123

motaz123 Lurker

thanks for the help , will reply back if the problem got solved :)