1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Android Stock Music Player: Baaaad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rkdku, Jan 14, 2013.

1. rkdku

rkdku Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    One of the things that I use most on my S3 is the music player. I listen to music, everyday.

But aaaargh! Sometimes, when I'm fiddling around with the [stock] music player, it just drives me crazy sometimes.
    I didn't realise just how slick/smooth/awesome/functional/easy-to-use the iOS music player was, until Android started banging my head with its irritating functionality.

So basically, when I look for an Artist in the stock music player (Let's just call it SMP), and go into one, the SMP will list the albums yes, but ALSO the tracks underneath each album. The iOS music player was good, because under the Artist category, it only listed the albums, and one would have had to press each album individually to see the tracks. Otherwise, one could just hit the "All Songs" button and they would see all the songs. It just goes to show Apple's efficiency, and here I'm sorry to say iOS have made it out on top.

Furthermore - playlist editing: Changing the order of tracks in my playlists, on the S3 is simply put, a headache. It is an incredibly laggy, slow process on the S3, especially infuriating when you have a playlist containing a fair amount of tracks. On iOS, everything is just slick. It's just so much easier to use.

I'm sorry about the rant, and the clear bias towards Apple shown here isn't actually completely true, there are a variety of things on the S3 music player that I didn't have access to on iOS, so I'm thankful for that.

So just wondering if anybody had any tips? Other music players that trump the stock? Also, I quite like having the Voice Command functionality over my SMP, but on 3rd-party players I can't seem to be able to use it. Or have I just got the bad ones? :p

All in all, thanks for reading this far if you have. If you haven't, I don't blame ya.

Cheers
    Trey

Advertisement

2. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    London, UK
    Have you tried Google Play Music?

3. rkdku

rkdku Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Nope. I'd rather have an offline library which I can access anywhere. But thanks.

4. boofer

boofer Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    you can use google play music for both your local music files (that reside on your phone) and for music stored on their servers. toggling between "all music" and just music on your device is in the upper left within the app.

you can upload way more than the physical storage limit of the phone + microSD card and stream it, or you can listen to music files on your phone (or tablet, or through a web browser on a PC or mac). it's super convenient, with the only downside being limited data plans that many people are stuck with. sound quality is also really, really good on the streaming side.

rkdku likes this.
  5. rkdku

rkdku Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Ohhhh I see. Thanks for that, I thought Google Play Music was just an online streaming service-type thing. Will definitely try it out, and post what I think.

Thanks again :)

6. rkdku

rkdku Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2013
    Update:

So I got GPM, and I have to say it is definitely an improvement to the stock music player in terms of smoothness and functionality. Changing playlist track order takes a fiftieth of the time it used to :D

However, the one thing that kind of draws me back to the SMP is the fact that there's no 'scroll-by-first-letter' functionality; there's just the scrollbar on the side and so it's hard to directly navigate to tracks.
    Is there any way to remedy this?

7. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    London, UK
    You have a search bar up at the top, that's the only other way to search, as far as I know.

8. Archex

Archex Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2012
    My problem with the SMP, and maybe all for that matter, is that the volume is too low for my taste. I am one of those that likes earth shattering, eardrum popping volume. I have great noice cancelling headphones but constantly find myself asking how too make it louder. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being rock concert volume i find the G3 only hits a 3 at best.
    Is it me, a setting or am i just asking for too much?

9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    its not the music player, its the device hardware that determines max loudness. and i bet youve damaged your hearing, i listen to music while on a huge lawnmower and dont even turn my volume all the way up

10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    try the poweramp free trial.
    in the EQ you can increase loudness (gain).
    by rooting you can drasticly boost loudness too :)