• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Studio emulator problem

Desperately need help. Have spent the last week trying to run the "Hello World" app from Android studio 3 but the emulator is waiting for target device to come online. I have set up the studio correctly and reinstalled it. Tried various platforms (currently Lollipop 22) with a combination of devices (currently Nexus S). The consistent warning that does out of all this is "Emulator: Warning: Quick Boot / Snapshots not supported on this machine. A CPU with EPT + UG features is currently needed. We will address this in a future release". I have chosen the Cold boot option, which seems to make no difference, Software emulation seems to give less sundry errors, not sure what Snapshots are. Can anybody help?

Snapshot is a fairly new feature on the emulator, designed to reduce start up times. Absence of a snapshot just means the emulator takes longer to start up each time you have to restart it.
So what happens? Does the emulator fail to appear? Do you get any errors in the Logcat view within Android Studio?

Upvote 0
I have selected Cold Boot on all emulators, as Quick boot does nothing. The emulator screen appears with its control bar down the side, Windows task manager/Processes shows about 15 copies of adb.exe running and the system hangs and waits. If I choose a high spec virtual device or choose quick boot option some other errors are given, but for simple devices Nexus S API 22 only the warning in my first post is shown

Upvote 0
No they don't get killed, the ones on task manager have been there from 7:00 this morning, now 17:30. Also a view of Studio waiting for target device to come online
Task manager.png

MyApp.png

When I delete the emulator the following message is given: 17:47 Emulator: qemu-system-i386.exe: Unable to open C:\Users\Mike\.android\avd\Nexus_S_API_22.avd\data\misc\pstore\pstore.bin: Permission denied

Upvote 0
I think you should remove android studio from system, reboot, manually delete all folders from Users/ that connected with Android Studio and SDK.
Then reboot again and setup new Android Studio and SDK.
After that run Android Studio and create new Empty Activity project for the maximum API 26.
Then setup emulator for Nexus S and API 26.
Run project with this emulator.
Do not use v27 at all. There are many complaints on it now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions.

v777779: that was also my idea after 4 days of getting nowhere, I deleted everything in the hope that there was a corruption somewhere and I could correct it with a completely new installation. Only I decided to go further back to API 22 because it gave me the Advanced options where I can select cold boot.

Just retried with the latest upgrade of API 26, It hangs and I don't even get the "Android" logo on the emulator
Emulator: glClear:470 GL err 0x506
is given

James_Watson: Yes tried that still get the same result. Emulator runs quite happily with the startup screen (black with "Android" in white letters) and responds to commands like change orientation, and other toolbar options. It just won't connect to the Studio and show the example program.

Upvote 0
Please provide hardware configuration of your PC, including free space on hard disk and version of Windows.

You can try with Android 2.3, it requires less resources and more stable than Android Studio 3.0.1. But IMHO it's not right way.
May be problem is connected with lack of resources, corrupted system level software like antivirus or firewalls, viruses that active in your system or corrupted of Windows itself.
I don't believe that Android Studio is not working out of the box.

Upvote 0
LV426: good idea, just tried that, I have an old Sony phone which has Developer mode in the settings app, just switched it on but SDT tells me that "No USB devices or running emulators detected" I can see the phone with windows explorer.
I also have a more modern Asus tablet, this does not have Developer mode in Settings, SDT also can't see this, but windows explorer can. Its been a long while since I worked on a Unix system, so prefer not to risk my computer not working by trying to load another OS, if I can't get this working I may have to buy another machine - probably go for i5-7400 for more speed and full emulation with Windows 10. but don't want to go there yet as that will cost about £550

v777779: Running on a Dell computer, Pentium dual-core E5300 @ 2.6?GHz; memory 8GB (seems to have plenty left when running Studio, if browsed is removed, 4GB free); 64bit; Windows 7 professional service pack 1.
I have disabled realtime protection on Microsoft Security essentials also switched off the windows firewall. Same result !

As to Android not working out of the box, I am sure it has many bugs and issues, in my experience all software has. Its just a question of the right combination of circumstances that activate the bug. I obviously have a combination of hardware/OS that has caught a glitch of some sort in some component

Upvote 0
Thanks for the links, good to check these things, although I spent 40 years as a contract programmer developing apps (usually windows), the machines I worked on belonged to the clients and were maintained by them, so I didn't get involved with the OS.
I have checked these 2 links and yes I have Google USB installed in the Studio SDK and the driver for my Sony phone installed is the best most up to date one available. Still can't see the phone from the SDT

Upvote 0
Yes I think you are right about windows 7, I have downloaded the "Windows Upgrade Advisor", which tells me that I can upgrade and directs me to "Windows Anytime Upgrade" which tells me that an upgrade is not available.

I think my next step will be to uninstall Android Studio 3.1 and try to install 2.3.

If this doesn't work then it looks like a new computer £££££££

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones