• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Studio - Tool to find out where a particular object was instantiated

Hello forum,
I am currently debugging an app in Android Studio and I am in a situation where I have an object and I need to find where this particular instance was created. In other words: I need to find the constructor call that created that particular instance.

My current workflow is to find all usages of the constructor, set breakpoints everywhere and then see which constructor call actually lead to the object I am looking for. In the current situation though, there are a lot of constructor-candidates which are called at a bazillion places, making this manual search really hard. My question is hence, whether there is some sort of plugin that observes all object instantiations that can then show me where the object was instantiated.

Obligatory disclaimer: It's my first time posting here, so please be gentle with me ;)

Thanks for your help :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones