1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android System using 72-75% Battery? Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ibcpirate, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Hello all,

This is my first time being on these forums, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I recently got my first Android phone 3 weeks ago, which was the Samsung Replenish, but that quickly fell in the toilet 2 weeks later lol. So last week I got a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g by Sprint. The Replenish's battery was supposedly horrible but the Galaxy S is complete crap compared to it. While on AIRPLANE mode, the phone will go from 100% battery to 35% battery within a school day(8 hours). I checked the battery usage and it is currently:

3d 11h 48m 33s on battery
    Android System - 72%
    Cell standby - 10%
    Phone idle - 8%
    Wi-Fi - 8%
    Display - 3%

This phone is driving me crazy...I can't even have my phone alive by dinner time :(. My brightness is on 9% and my screen autosleeps on 30 seconds. I don't really know much about Androids since I recently got my first Android phones. The phone is on 2.3.5 Gingerbread if that helps. Thanks in advanced for any information I can get!

-iBcPirate

Advertisement

2. Laramie8x8

Laramie8x8 Newbie
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Something in that usage is not right at all.

I wonder if a hard reset might help? In airplane mode if you're not using it much the phone should last a few days.

If a factory reset doesn't work I'd just call customer service and try to get a new phone.

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    I don't know if it was like this before. When I got the phone, I was pretty busy that day but my older brother knows quite a bit about Androids so he said he would root it for me. While rooting it, someone was apparently trolling and gave a Galaxy S2 root and said it was Galaxy S, so he did a full reset and left it at that.

I purchased it off eBay new and the seller allows returns but I would rather not go through the hassle after getting everything set up on this phone...but maybe I'll have my brother root it later and set up a custom rom that saves energy.

4. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    vB code analysis, Android / iOS Developer, CEO My
    Well if it wasn't a 'crappy' phone before, it certainly is now :p

Have you tried recycling the battery? Something, or some process is probably running in the background. The fun part is trying to find it. Do you have GPS on? I know that will suck up a lot of power. The easy fix is to try another battery. If the problem still persist then it's most likely a setting of some sort. This app might help in tracing it down :)

ibcpirate likes this.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Try asking your brother to reflash it for a while to the stock Galaxy S ROM. I think there was a problem in the rooting.

6. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah, he didn't root it. He attempted to, but didn't have time to attempt again so he left it as the stock rom.

7. AndroidAdvntge

None

Dec 29, 2011
    A lot of things could be the factor. If you don't have 4g service available in your area, your phone will search for it automatically which could take up a lot of usage. Your GPS takes a lot. Bluetooth too. If you have a corrupted app, it could constantly be trying to connect to your net which will also take resources. your battery could even just need to calibrate. Hope this helped.

ibcpirate likes this.
  8. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    I have 4G in my area but I turn 4G off since it kills battery. As for GPS and bluetooth, those are off as well. How can I check if I have a corrupted app? Can apps still try to connect to internet while on airplane mode? Also what do you mean by calibrate the battery? Thanks.

9. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    No. It suspends your phones ability to place or receive calls or text messages.

The battery meter on your phone will calibrate itself so that it is more accurate.

ibcpirate likes this.
  10. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Thought so, so how am I losing battery while on Airplane mode then?

Also I didn't see your post before but I'm trying the 2x Battery app. What exactly does it do and how can I use it to trace the app? Thanks!

11. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    Beats me :D Turning on Airplane Mode will increase battery life.

Don't know what who ever said it was thinking....

I didn't use it all that long but from what I saw it will look for things that drain your battery and let you know about them.

12. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Hm, going through the built in AppLog on it...I'm still losing 6% battery per hour...:(:(:(:(

13. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    I use QuickInfo Pro task killer and Advanced Task Killer every time I turn off my screen, and probably 75% of my apps aren't from the appstore...so I'm not sure. I keep my brightness on 9% as well...

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
  15. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    Yeah Task Killers are bad. Anyone using one is asking for trouble. Do yourself a big favor and stay away from all Task Killers in Android :)

16. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    I'll read the posts later, but I always use Facebook, eBay, email, and sometimes Solitaire and Need for Speed, so it causes my phone to run very slowly. Which link says it corrupts it?

Also, after checking the 2x battery log, I only lost 23% battery after 5 hours while not on airplane mode, using email every 15 minutes or so, and about an hour worth of solitaire on and off. Improvement :) But Android System is still using 71% battery

17. schwenger

schwenger Member
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Hudson Valley, New York
    There is a glitch with the 2.3.6 update on the s2 that causes wifi to use a lot more battery when the phone is idle then 2.3.4 so try trying off your wifi when you're not using it.

18. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Could that be what happened to mine, even though mine is a Galaxy S and I reset it back to factory mode from that galaxy s2 rom? :thinking:

Android System 69%

19. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    You can go into the settings and it will tell you what is using your battery. You can also turn off things running in the background from there :)

20. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    There is an Android OS bug that causes abnormal battery drain, that existed on the original Galaxy S and now the Galaxy S2. According to some it was fixed finally in the GB Rom of Galaxy S, and to a lesser extent on some of the updates for the SGS2.

There are a variety of speculation as to what causes the Android OS bug, and no true culprit has been found.

That said, OP - I'd try making sure you are on the latest firmware for the Epic 4G, to see if that helps. If not, then try a ROM like CleanGB Rom, which seems to work well for my Epic 4G.

ibcpirate and AngelArs like this.
  21. AngelArs

None

Apr 24, 2011
    Good to know. Thanks ;)

22. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks, but I can't see anything that I would notice off the bat that is using a large amount of battery..

Thanks AndroidSPCS, my phone is currently checking for an update. I will try that ROM if I have the chance to root my phone later. Also, it seems that I only lose battery when I am at school, though I turn off my Wifi since I have my laptop. When at home, 2x Battery tells me my battery will last 15+ hours, but at school it will say around 4-10 hours..

23. schwenger

schwenger Member
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Is your phone searching for service more at school? Compare your signal strength while at school vs at home (not the bars, check under settings -> status or whatever it is)

24. ibcpirate

ibcpirate Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Well, when it's on Airplane mode it doesn't really matter right?