• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Tablet Apps

jerry43812

Apr 20, 2010
First off, I'd like to say hi and I hope all of you are doing well. I come to you in request for some support as well as an offering that some of you should be able to benefit from.

I've been working hard as possible to produce a website for Android tablet users, which is 100% free of charge. No catches, no gimmicks, no nothing. Before anyone flips out thinking I am advertising, consider this: I could have dropped a link and left. But I didn't I'm here, explaining my cause, and letting you know that there is a wonderful resource that you did not know about, and should enjoy!

Anyways, the website is Android Tablet Apps and its sole purpose is to become the internet's largest database of applications that are specifically designed to work on Android tablets. This website will benefit each and every one of you who own an Android tablet because you won't have to sort through hundreds of non-tablet-optimized applications to find something good.

My request from any of you (and its ONLY a request), is that if any of you have, or know of, an application that is designed FOR an Android tablet, to please use the submission form located on my site so that I may add it? I am doing all of this work by hand and while I admit that it's painstakingly time consuming, I am enjoying myself while adding the applications because I am finding some really cool stuff so far.

I know I have a low post count here. I guess you could call me a lurker. But, I've been around a while and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon (unless nature decides its my time, lol).

I look forward to seeing some of you on the site. Pay it a visit, let me know what you think so far. Thanks!

I hate to say it, but vet the apps posted. I used a Nokia Symbian phone and would have to hunt for independent developers/sites to find the files. OVI would say I couldn't have it - you had to list your carrier, and OVI didn't consider any other but the most expensive plans and locked phones. Anyway, some of the sites for files were really dicey.

There is an Android tablet forum already, but they mostly tell you how to root and hack. They do list apps, but not by any category. Some do say you need to be rooted, some don't specify which version of Android, or exactly what you need to run the app.

If the app is pay for, some don't mind paying, but would rather use Paypal.

Some of us need to sideload. Market says no app available for tablet. I've found some APK files from developers that work, even if Market says no. The tablet is wifi only, anyway so I can't incur a data charge. Market is assuming that my tablet is TMO, and they must check out what data plan or something. I can use a TMO phone wifi only and no data plan at all. Or even SIM in the phone. There's quite a few of these lower priced tablets around. I bought a cheap one to see if it would sub for dragging a laptop with me on vacation. (It did) Also gives me time to search for a tablet that will work the way I want, and preferably wifi only, and drag and drop files to and from an SD card.

Upvote 0
I hate to say it, but vet the apps posted. I used a Nokia Symbian phone and would have to hunt for independent developers/sites to find the files. OVI would say I couldn't have it - you had to list your carrier, and OVI didn't consider any other but the most expensive plans and locked phones. Anyway, some of the sites for files were really dicey.

There is an Android tablet forum already, but they mostly tell you how to root and hack. They do list apps, but not by any category. Some do say you need to be rooted, some don't specify which version of Android, or exactly what you need to run the app.

If the app is pay for, some don't mind paying, but would rather use Paypal.

Some of us need to sideload. Market says no app available for tablet. I've found some APK files from developers that work, even if Market says no. The tablet is wifi only, anyway so I can't incur a data charge. Market is assuming that my tablet is TMO, and they must check out what data plan or something. I can use a TMO phone wifi only and no data plan at all. Or even SIM in the phone. There's quite a few of these lower priced tablets around. I bought a cheap one to see if it would sub for dragging a laptop with me on vacation. (It did) Also gives me time to search for a tablet that will work the way I want, and preferably wifi only, and drag and drop files to and from an SD card.

Um, what? I really don't follow the relevance of this post.. thanks for the input though!

Upvote 0
It simply means that if you list apps - you need to specify which Android, permissions like the market, rooted or non-rooted, and maybe use Paypal. Especially if you have just the APK listings. And make sure your listings are legit.

Every app that I am listing has a direct link to the application on the Android Market as well as AppBrain, so any information that I may have left out can be found by going to those sites. I am not trying to "replace" those market sites by any means, I am only trying to make an application directory specific to Android tablets.

It *could* be possible, in the future, that if a tablet owner wants an app that does not show in their market, that someone could get the APK from somewhere (as long as it's a free APK and within dev terms) and post it in a comment on the application's page on my site...

Upvote 0
As a promotional offering for any application developer:

If you are a developer who has created an application that is written to run specifically on Android tablets, or is WELL optimized for Android tablets, please contact me using the form on my site to receive a 7-day free featured advertisement on my site. Mention AndroidForums somewhere, please. The featured advertisement of your application will be found in the big slider at the top of the home page among other pages. This is limited to the first three developers who contact me, so act fast! Android Tablet Apps is already getting good traffic and I'd love to help some of you developers out a bit!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones