1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Android Tablet Buying Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmsully34, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jmsully34

jmsully34 New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    I have played around with two android phones like the captivate and the aria and liked them both. And i also have a iPod touch 2nd generation. I would like a 4"-10" screen, a compasitive touch screen, at least 8 GB of storage, 528 mb of memory or more, 1 gb of RAM or more and would like a camera, GPS, and mic. If you can find something close please reply.

Advertisement

2. Intervenient

Jul 14, 2010
    Student at UCSB
    I'd wait until the end of the year to decide anything. The only thing that I can think of was the Archos tablet, and it wasn't too well received. Supposedly Motorola and Samsung (not to mention RIM if that's a possible venture), are all working on Android based tablets to come out by the end of the year. Hope this helps.

3. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    A few thing to consider. You need to factor in the idea that manufactures will not subsidize the tablets unless it is on a carrier.

4" Galaxy S 1ghz Hummingbird: $350-499 no contract. $350 good luck finding it at that price.
    4.3" EVO 4G 1ghz Snapdragon: $549 no-contract
    4.3" Droid X 1ghz OMAP: $569 no-contract
    5" Dell Streak 1ghz Snapdragon, Android 1.6 : $549 no-contract
    7" Huwaei S7 Resisitive screen, 3G, no marketplace, 800mhz : $454
    All of these are 800x480.

The only Tablet I would consider now is the Galaxy S 7" coming in Nov (to be announced in 2 weeks). It is going to have a 1024x600 screen and Samsung is courting developers to make "tablet-sized" apps.

I've been thru 3 different 7" Android tablets and they were no different than my 4" Galaxy S. Running Connect-bot on a 7" was stupid and silly.

The app experience is the same, just a bigger screen. No more real-estate for surfing the web. Facebook on an Android tablet looked wonky and over-sized.
    Screen has to be at least 1024x600. I would love to see a 5" 1024x600.

Expect a good one to be $700. The Samsung tablet has to cost more than the no-contract 4" Galaxy S.

I laugh at all the engadget posts from Evo owners who expect a 1ghz capacitive 7" screen to cost $200-300 and everyone pans the Dell Streak's pricing as DOA.

Those owners compare the pricing to their 2 year contract EVOs. That is a ridiculous set of expectations. Even the Nexus One was $550.

When I got the opportunity to buy a Galaxy S no-contract for under 3 bills, I jumped at it. So far, it has exceeded my expectations. I no longer have the urge experiment on 7" epads,monsoones, or whatever on Ebay.

The $150 Augen, Ekens, and even the $200 Khols, SmartQ v5s, and Archos are not worth it.

The low-end devices will seriously give consumers a bad taste in their mouth and that is how Android tablets will be cast. It is leaving a bad impression to end-users of the OS and platform when their
    first device is laggy and has 1 hour battery life. I skipped on the $454 Huawei S7 because of the 1 hour battery life. I have a raincheck for the $150 K-mart Augen and a $124 PanDigital at Bed and Beyond. I think I'll skip those "experiment" purchases.

Google needs to introduce a reference tablet because the k-mart version is pure garbage.

4. jmsully34

jmsully34 New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks but I'm trying to keep it under $300. If some one knows of one that is a little under the requirements please tell me about it. But thanks any way

5. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Archos 5 fits your budget but you need to be realistic with your expectations.

Lowest is $279. $350 gives you the 32GB model.

Has: 16gb storage, gps,

NO camera, NO capacitive screen, Android 1.6, questionable marketplace access
    and decent battery life.

Amazon.com: Archos 5 16 GB Internet Tablet (Black): Electronics

I'd personally wait for the non-phone version of the 4" Galaxy S which will be about $250 (rumored) The YP-MB2

Leaked details of Samsung Galaxy S PMP

6. jmsully34

jmsully34 New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    I looked at the archos 5 but it's resistive which I don't want. I like the capasitive screen on my iPod touch. But the galaxy s tablet you mentioned sounds cool. It that the one that is going to be mentioned on aug. 11?