• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Tablet Question - Using laptop with DSL

ClubSteeler

Jan 7, 2011
I am considering getting an Android Tablet, specifically to let my daughter use it.

As a parent, I am very careful about my children using the internet. In fact, I control their allow list on our laptop so they can only visit a web address that I specifically type on the allow-list.

My question is: If I get an Android tablet, without 3G, only with Wifi, and I do not currently have Wifi, then could I.......

1) Connect the tablet to either my lap top or DSL modem to install apps, check mail, download ereader books, etc.......

2) Disconnect it when my daughter is using it, to have NO internet connection, but still allow her to play games, read ebooks, etc...

Or will the tablet be useless without a constant connection? Or can it only have a connecion via WiFi.

I could always get Wifi but turn off the wireless router when not in use too.

Comments?

Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones