• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android tablet, touchscreen not working properly.

J

Jake CH

Hi, my android asus tablet used to work fine, i gave it to my cousins to play with it last week and then when i got it back, they said the touch screen isn't working properly. When i turned it on, it looked fine. However when i try and press the home button, or something else it goes crazy. In other words, when i press the home button or any other button it will automatically taps buttons by itself sometimes. I have to keep twisting the tablet just to get some numbers to work.

It is always like this. Sometimes it just opens another app when i'm asking it to open another app. Sometimes some of the buttons tap sensors or whatever don't work and i have to twist the device to get some of the tapping to work. Please help me! Thanks.

I'm not familiar with this Tab, but if the Home button is an actual physical button it sounds like it could be getting stuck a bit when you press it for whatever reason causing the tab to go wild. I've had it happen to me before when a button gets stuck and the devise reacts as if you were permanently pressing it down. I'd start there, it could be something you can fix on your own if that turns out to be the problem.

Upvote 0
It still acts up after reboot? Are you running a custom ROM? If you're running the stock launcher you might try a third-party launcher such as Nova to see if if reacts the same way. Worst-case is backing up all your photos, mp3s and videos and doing a factory reset (in the stock ROM it usually wipes your storage as well).

Upvote 0
Wet pillow! Really??? Not even going to go there, but it sounds like you may have to try and open it up and let it dry out some.

Yeah, i asked them. They said that they kept my tablet under a wet pillow, while it was on. I think this must be the cause. I think they must have been hiding it or whatever, but still i think it might have been under the wet pillow for hours.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing, and I guess that if he really wanted to go to all the trouble he could get one of those clear plastic "storage boxes" and a few sacks of rice and give it a try. The problem is as you said, what damage may already be done by using it in it's current state!!!
For a phone we'd normally recommend a couple of days turned off in a jar of uncooked rice. For a tablet that would have to be a big jar.

The question though is whether any permanent damage was done before you knew what had happened.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones