1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android tablets in the classroom

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MisterLove, Feb 8, 2014.

1. MisterLove

MisterLove Member
    None

Sep 15, 2013
    This is my second thread on this subject but my Android tablets have been a true blessing in the classroom. They really are wonderful.

Some of the benefits of using these wonderful devices:

a) Motivation: Kids love technology

b) Innovation: it's easier to prepare my lessons and come up with new tasks

c) Economy: I'm saving a fortune in paper and photocopies

d) Simplicity: it makes my work much easier because I don't have to carry and organize my students' works

e) Discipline and behaviour: I work with extremely poor kids from the local slums and behaviour used to be a huge problem but not anymore - they're always totally engrossed in their tablets.

I still need your help, though. I teach economy and tourism and I need new apps and ideas.

We've used MX Video to watch short videos on tourist attractions, Meme Me to make memes, Gallery to watch photos and, because it's so easy to use, Fast Notepad to write.

But I need more! Any tips?

Advertisement

2. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    Maybe Maps for geography? Or Google Earth? Do the kids have Internet access?

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    How about the CIA World Factbook?

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Kill a couple birds with one stone and present a budgeted scenario where the kids create a new business and then have to create an ad campaign to drum up business.

You could make use of budget type apps, Google docs for simple publishing of a flyer campaign, a voice recorder for a ”radio” campaign and so on.

Assign an operating budget and create a chart of given values for different types of business they would be confined to, for example a laundry mat could cost more electricty but less rent as it foot print is smaller then say a florist that would cost less electricity but more rent as you need a greenhouse.

More business models could be a bakery, convenience store, and restaurant. Assign core values to electricity, rent, raw materials, and other common items all the businesses could use and let the kids figure out what type of business they want to make. Advertising cost could vary as well between magazine, print, and radio but the monetary gain for each month could vary.

Have them keep a detailed budget, plans for their business, and an advertising campaign.

You could extend the project by changing utility, material, labor costs on a weekly basis and have them figure how it impacts them.

5. sonyboyj

sonyboyj Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Good for your school in getting android and not ipads i think kids will learn way more about tech and linux using android. theres plenty of education apps just search the playstore for what ever you want google earth and Google sky map are good

6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    If you have internet access...

You could use something like TripAdvisor to look at attractions in "touristy" spots and let the kids write an evaluation/comparison of different places.

Another idea (this one will take some work on your part) is to find someone that lives in a particular city and Skype with them and discuss tourism in the area and the economic health in the tourist areas as opposed to the other areas of town.