1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android tech questions eg: Galaxy s5

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Android Question

Hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me a number of things about Android and the data that it keeps on the phone. I have a galaxy s5 and have deleted text messages and pics over time and wonder how long I have to recover them. The phone has told me that it is full a number of times, does this mean it is overriding the deleted data or does the phone have two sections for these purposes? Also I had a kik account that I deleted the whole app, does the phone hold any old messages or contacts? I have reinstalled the app a couple of times under different accounts, would that override the data from before? Also pictures, how long will the phone keep deleted pictures? I haven't been able to root the phone as of yet but in particular want to try and recover the kik contacts and messages and also the Facebook messenger app details that I had on there, I have also deleted that app and reinstalled it later under a new account. How long does the phone keep data that has been deleted from a heavily used phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Once you delete them, you will never recover them.....
    that is a fact of life.....

new data will overwrite the locations where the old data was, and 'se la vie'.

delete the app, and the data it had looses it location pointers... sorry

unless the phone is rooted, and you backed up all of the data, it is gone.

once the data space gets full, it starts to over write what is the oldest if it is not in use.

that is why, if the app you are using will utilize the extSDcard, you should always store data on the extSDcard. it will always be there unless you delete it.

3. Ok, thank you for that. Do you know how long it usually takes for the data to be overridden on the device, it was used a lot and kik deleted about 5 months ago and messenger about the same time before both were re-installed later. Pics and texts appear to stay on the phone for a while after being deleted? is that right. is there more than one area where data is stored on a galaxy s5?

4. Also, is data only stored in one area or does it use the whole phone? Do you know how long it takes for data to usually get overridden on a 16g Android?

Can professional high end recovery find anything after say 4 months, like in the sqlite area or anywhere on the phone?

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

How long varies by user.

All data is written to the /data partition of your internal storage - some you can see with a file browser, most you can't (unless rooted) due to security restrictions for your protection.

You can backup and restore messages, check out "SMS Backup & Restore"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Avoid recovery apps - they promise the world and tend to be a ripoff.

Slug and AZgl1500 like this.
  6. How long does the data usually last though? When the phone is used a lot?

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but asking the question differently isn't going to make an answer possible.

Data usage varies by app mix and user preference.

My sister wouldn't fill up a 16 GB phone in her lifetime. My son-in-law filled his in less than two years. I filled one in 6 months.

mikedt, starkraving and svim like this.