1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android Text editor is a real piece of junk!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roberto Taglia, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Roberto Taglia

None

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi,

Android is a good product in general but the text editor is a real shit.

When you type a short message, many times, Android stops you violently during your typing and propose you to suppress one or severals previous message.

I do not know how to disable this feature, i cannot stand with it.

I do not known the sequence of keys that invoke this suppress form during my typing of text message, but it makes me crazy.

Roberto

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I'm not sure I understand you. Nothing happens problematic to me when I type in anything. I just type on and on with no problem in SMS editors, even websites. What exactly do you mean by supress one of several previous messages? Delete them?

3. Roberto Taglia

None

Sep 23, 2011
    Imagine you are typing a message when suddenly Android redirects you to a form in which you have to select X previous short text messages to delete. In this form, you have to confirm the deletion or to cancel this form.

But when you cancel this form, you do not return to the text editor, so you have to quit this application THAT saves your message and then returns to message application to resume your typing.

Of course, it does not happen when you are using the browser because there is no relation with previous text message.

The suppress form appears too often for me, it appears after some keys pressed that i'm unable to reproduce and there is no information about this feature.

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    What handset are you using and what's your software version. This sounds like a bug that was present in HTC's initial release of Gingerbread on the HTC Desire HD. It might well be present on other handsets too.

You could try installing another message app, see if that resolves the issue.

It's a bug unfortunately, not a feature.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    What phone are you using? I have never encountered such behavior from my phone (Samsung Galaxy SL). Perhaps the text message memory is full?

Anyway, you could also try using a different keyboard and SMS app though, as it could be some weird quirk of what keyboard and sms app you use.. I would personally recommend GO SMS and GO keyboard.

6. Roberto Taglia

None

Sep 23, 2011
    I'm very impressed, yes i have an HTC Desire HD and yes i have Gingerbread version 2.3.3.
    It's so pity that there is no update correcting this bug, i will test an another message app.

Do you think there will be a major Android update to this smarphone like Android version 3 or 4 ?

Thank you for your help.

7. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm not entirely sure we'll get an upgrade to ICS, but there is apparently an upgrade in the works containing Sense 3.0. Nothing official yet, but there are a number of custom ROMs based on leaked firmware containing Sense 3.0.

Are you unbranded at all? What's your software version in Settings -> About Phone -> Software Info?

8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You will never see Android v3.x on any phone. Codenamed Honeycomb, it is for tablets only. The next unified version will be 'Ice Cream Sandwich', but I am not sure what the version number will be.

Whether or not your phone will get it is anybody's guess, but HTC is generally very good about providing updates to handsets that can handle the upgrade.

9. Roberto Taglia

None

Sep 23, 2011
    I'm not sure if i'm unbranded but i believe so because there is no specific app from my operator within my phone, everything in my phone seems genuine from Android and HTC Sense.

VERSION
    Android version: 2.3.3
    HTC Sense : 2.1
    Kernel version : 2.6.35.10 from Thu June 9 14:20
    Build version : 2.50.405.2 CL87995 release-keys
    Software version : 2.50.405.2
    Browser version : Webkit/533.1

10. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, the 2.50.405.2 is unbranded software so that means that if any new firmware is released, you'll be first to get it. Incidentally, the first version of 2.3.3 was Software version 2.36.405.8 so it looks like the SMS/KB bug wasn't fixed in the 2.50.xxx.x release

In the short term, you can install a 3rd party SMS app, see if that resolves or wait for HTC to resolve via another update.

Alternatively, you can install a custom ROM (none of the ROMs I've used have had that bug), but I'm not sure if that's a road you want to go down as it would void your warranty.

11. Roberto Taglia

None

Sep 23, 2011
    I like my Android and i would not flash my rom with possible risk of lossing waranty and maybe my phone...

So i will try another message app, either GO SMS or GO keyboard.

Thank you all of you for replying me

12. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Totally understand, the custom ROM route isn't for everyone!

Hopefully the next update will be released soon, when the devs get their hands on leaks etc, the official release isn't too far behind.

13. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm a bit confused.. is it only when you use the "Messages" SMS app that you experience these problems, or do you see the same issues when, for example, you compose an email or type text into any other app such as the calendar? If it's only when using Messages, I've been confused by you blaming the "text editor".

Anyway, assuming it's an issue with the Messages app (which runs perfectly well on my Desire HD running identical software), have you tried clearing the data and cache by going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> All -> Messages. This is a standard thing to try if an application starts misbehaving. I don't know whether doing this risks losing you your existing messages but, in any event, I'd suggest you download the free "SMS Backup And Restore" app to back up your SMS messages before playing around.

Also, have you tried re-starting the phone and, as a separate thing, switched it off and removed the battery for several minutes before re-starting it? Again, standard things to try if you experience a problem.

Lastly, and I know nothing about this, sometimes it's found that one application can interfere with another. Have you installed anything that isn't a "normal" app i.e. maybe something designed to change the way your phone behaves, such as an alternative keyboard, launcher, battery saver etc. As I say, I know nothing about this, but it's worth considering.