• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android to android tethering?

I am about set on getting a Windows based tablet since I want a tablet that I can tether my Droid 1 to, but I was wondering if there are any apps available that would make it possible to tether my Droid to a android tablet? If so, then that may greatly influence my buying decision.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It is all not that simple. AFAIR Android does not allow ad-hoc connections, so when you create a WiFi hotspot using your Android phone the Android tablet will not be able to connect to the created network.

A Windows running tablet, on the other hand, will have no issues with that at all.

That's weird, I've had my mate connect to my wifi hotspot countless of times when he didn't have a data plan yet.
I was using my trusty Nexus One and he has a Wildfire.
Connecting to the wifi hotspot should be just as simple as connecting to any other wifi source, shouldn't it?

Upvote 0
That's weird, I've had my mate connect to my wifi hotspot countless of times when he didn't have a data plan yet.
Connecting to the wifi hotspot should be just as simple as connecting to any other wifi source, shouldn't it?

Some devices don't allow it due to it being an ad hoc connection. Most gaming consoles will not connect to an ad hoc connection

Upvote 0

It is not that simple. Take corporate laptops for example - my company-provided laptop was set up not to allow ad-hoc connections at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones