• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android to Receive IR singal

Sorry to nitpick, but you want an IR transmitter.

There are a few available, along with remote control software. Search the Play Store for IR remote, and look for the comments to see if one seems best for you. Then, I'd consider emailing the developer to make sure of compatibility with your tablet.

Hope this helps! :)

How does this work? My Clie had IR and I was able to change channels with it by downloading the app for the TV I had.
The Clie had IR built in. How do you add IR after the fact since the phone doesn't have a transmitter?

I'd love to have one just to annoy the Vulcan. He doesn't feel complete unless he's in charge of the remote.

Upvote 0
How does this work? My Clie had IR and I was able to change channels with it by downloading the app for the TV I had.
The Clie had IR built in. How do you add IR after the fact since the phone doesn't have a transmitter?

I'd love to have one just to annoy the Vulcan. He doesn't feel complete unless he's in charge of the remote.

See my post above for your market search term.

You get an add-on, plug into your phone, install the universal remote control to go with it, and you go.

Check your gear - some can be controlled via wifi and then you just need the app. ;)

Upvote 0
hello

so basically i need my tablet to read IR signal .
i have an android tv box with IR remote , its just a IR led connected to the box and a simple remote to control the box .
i dont know if its just a IR LED connected directly to USB port or what
any ideas?

thanks
Hi, I tried to find similar but nothing found yet, did you get the solution of your problem? I'm doing same, I've TV box with a remote. I want to receive remote signals in my app installed in that tv box. How can I receive signals, please help me

Upvote 0
The phone would need IR built in. Otherwise you would have to get some sort of adapter. Remotes for dumb and smaller TVs mostly still use IR.
If it has IR, it should be listed in the specs.

With newer TVs you might be able to work with wifi. I think the Roku has an app for control with an Android. The Roku is a streaming device. If you can control TV using wifi, you would still probably have to get the app from the phone mfg. if Play doesn't have it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones