1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android updates for software unlocked phones, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Double99, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Double99

Double99 Lurker
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi all,

I have just purchased a HTC Desire HD, locked to Orange in the UK (and its Orange branded). I have tried to different companies to obtain a unlocking code so I can use it on the T-Mobile network. But neither of them could obtain a code. One company sent me JICTech software to unlock the phone or alternatively I can get one of the many Mobile Phone shops near me to unlock it for me.

My question is this.

1. If I use the software to unlock the phone (either at home or from a shop), will this prevent me from getting any future google android updates. If I do get the updates which company would they come from?

2. Will it affect anything else on my phone (functionality etc)?

My girlfriend has this phone and I love it, but don't want to ruin it for the future. If it doesn't work I tempted to sell it and but another one that I can use with T-Mobile.

Many Thanks
    Cris

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Hello double99.

We're seeing mixed reports on upgrades coming to unlocked devices. I'd call the carrier I wanted the device to end up on, and just ask them outright.

Be sure to call on more than one occasion and speak with more than one representative; that is a way to test for the verity of the first response. If the answers conflict, you've got a decision to make. ;)