1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android updates? ICS

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Scrapyd18, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Scrapyd18

Scrapyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    Hi I'm new to this forum and pretty new to the whole android game. i just picked up an Asus Transformer Prime recently and despite all the hoopla I love this thing! With the recent update to ICS 4.0.3 it has been flawless. Well getting to my question, how often does android update the operating system? Are updates specific to devices? Example: next upgrade 4.1 or 4.0.4???

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to AF!

Generally, Google will update the Android version and release it to pure Google devices (At moment, that's the Nexus handsets), they'll then pass the code to manufacturers (Asus/Samsung/HTC/LG etc) so they can tweak it for each of their specific devices, adding their own GUI/apps etc. If the device is network branded (really only relevant for phones), they'll be allowed to tweak the software further and add their own apps.

The Android version will stay the same (as it uses the same base), but the manufacturers will give it their own software version when tweaking to their own needs. So whilst Android 2.3.5 on a HTC device, might look completely different to Android 2.3.5 on a Samsung device, the core OS is still the same.

Does that all make sense?

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. Scrapyd18

Scrapyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yes very much thank u...

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    To build on what EP said, but answer your time question: Major OS revisions happen annually, on average. I think it's somewhere between 8-12 months. Smaller updates happen more frequently. But, like EP said, those updates are only that frequent with Google devices (the Nexus line). Manufacturers determine if they take Google's update and incorporate them to their devices.

It gets more complicated with phones, because they have the additional middleman of a carrier, but I think that can draw a pretty good picture. On average, though, you can expect to see a minor update maybe once every 3 months. Every 6-8 months, you may see a minor OS build update. And once a year, you may see a major OS update to the next dessert type OS (currently ICS). For as long as your manufacturer chooses to update the device. Expect the life cycle of your device to be 18 months.

schwenger and EarlyMon like this.
  5. Scrapyd18

Scrapyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    Got ya... Thanks