• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android user going to use Iphone for first time, what problems will I encounter?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
I am a long-time Android and never use an iPhone before. I know how to use my Samsung android phone with Windows 10 without any problems.

I am going to receive an iPhone 7. I have never used iPhone before. I heard of something like apple ecosystem.

I heard of iPhone is unable (or not easy) to transfer files through USB plugging into PC, not really compatible with PC/Windows, need some apple account to work, locked or unlocked phone, apps store differences, Itunes is needed and need to pay some account fees and so on...

Are these problems real problems?

I think apple app stores app has lesser free apps?

Can someone advise me what do I need to get the iPhone to work, and what problems will I encounter, what fees will I need to pay?

Thanks

(my questions are what I heard about iPhone so I don't really what are the problems I will encounter if I use an iPhone. I only briefly tried the demo iPhone set in retail shops a long time ago, so I am unable to know what are the real problems when using it whole day, sorry I don't know where can I ask my questions as I really know nothing about iPhone, hope someone here kind enough to share your experiences.)

Last edited:
You will need an Apple account but there are no fees unless you buy apps or some sort of subscription service.
Not sure about transferring files, haven't used iTunes since my early iPod days and know it's come a long way since then (that's what started my hatred of Apple).
The big thing I think you'll notice and have to get used to is the lack of customization. No widgets for one, the home screen is your app drawer, you can make folders but that's about it. Settings annoy me, Android apps settings are in the app (for the most part), iPhone settings are in their own little settings area - for all of them. iMessage, don't get me going!
Those are my 'big' annoyances (nephew has one that I maintain). It will take you a bit to get adjusted to all the differences for sure. Is it horrible? No. Would I get voluntarily? Never.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Settings is the thing that annoys me most on iOS. Not only is it stupid that if I want to change an app's settings I need to leave that app, open Settings, then find that app's section in there (an extremely slow way of doing things) but it isn't even consistent: from my experience of helping people with iPads there are some settings in some apps which you do change within the app.

The user interface based on an 1990s PDA (home screens covered with grids of icons, you get no control beyond what order you put them in and the ability to group some of them in folders) is just the way it is. They aren't hard to use, just inflexible and in places inefficient. I'm not "never iPhone", but it would take a major abuse of people's data, a serious feature regression or a forcing of intrusive apps on Google's part to push me to switching (in other words I give it about 50% probability within the next 5 years ;)).

It's years since I've transferred files to or from one (using iTunes to help a friend put photos on theirs), so I can't say much about that beyond the note that it doesn't let you see or navigate the filesystem yourself, everything is done through specific apps and you aren't supposed to trouble your little head with that sort of stuff.

Upvote 0
@Clementine_3, @Hardon, from your replies it seems like the last time you used iphone you need the itunes to transfer photo, if lets say I take a photo using iphone, is it I need to install itunes in my windows 10 PC then I can use itunes to move the photo from the phone to my PC?

One thing I heard of iphone is there is some sort of 1 click/step to backup everything, is it true?

If I do not put a sim card into the iphone, can i use the iphone as a camera, can I use iphone as an internet browser to browse websites and watch youtube via wifi? Can I install chrome?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm not a big iOS user, and most of my experience is with iPads, so someone else will be better for most of these (the last iPhone I interacted with seriously was a 4s, so anything I know is likely to be out of date).

You can do one click backup via iTunes, and I'm sure it can be set to keep backed up to iCloud (though there's probably a charge for sufficient iCloud space to back up a phone).

You can install other browsers but I believe that you can't set them as default (so links in other apps will open in Safari).

Upvote 0
I am going to receive an iPhone 7.
Is that why you're going to iOS? I mean, as opposed to having something against Android? Are you actually switching to Apple, or will you use it and Android both?

Personally, I could not, would not, accept the locked-down, non-customizable, highly-curated world of iOS. Just the thought of having a screen-full of icons--that I didn't put there and don't want--makes my heart start racing, like a panic attack! :eek: I need my desktops clean, not all cluttered up with stuff I can't remove.

I'm interested to know why you're doing this, but as it's none of my business, you're certainly not obligated to explain. :)

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
I am a long-time Android and never use an iPhone before. I know how to use my Samsung android phone with Windows 10 without any problems.

I am going to receive an iPhone 7. I have never used iPhone before. I heard of something like apple ecosystem.

For Windows I think you'll need to install iTunes, and that's about all I know. Last iPhone I had was the original one, 11 years ago now, and that had to connect to iTunes on the computer to load music, media, sync, take backups, etc.

Although I've always had Android devices since then, I've nearly always used Macbooks and Linux laptops.

FWiW I would never buy another iPhone myself now though, too limited and restricted for my uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
Is that why you're going to iOS? I mean, as opposed to having something against Android? Are you actually switching to Apple, or will you use it and Android both?

Personally, I could not, would not, accept the locked-down, non-customizable, highly-curated world of iOS. Just the thought of having a screen-full of icons--that I didn't put there and don't want--makes my heart start racing, like a panic attack! :eek: I need my desktops clean, not all cluttered up with stuff I can't remove.

I'm interested to know why you're doing this, but as it's none of my business, you're certainly not obligated to explain. :)

I did not buy the iphone, had the chance to use it so I just wanted to try it then decide.

For now I am ok with android. I have nothing against android, been using android my whole life, never had an iphone before. The only good thing i heard about iphone is it can backup everything in the whole phone easily, and it seldom have malware. (from what I read on web and videos) I think android is equal or better . I heard people are too used to apple ecosystem and find it troublesome to get out, maybe using too many apple app or software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones