1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android v 4.1.2

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Q1. My Galaxy 10.1 tablet (bought 1 year ago) is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and when I run the software update check it says I have the latest software version. But I hear Jelly bean has gone beyond 4.1.2 to 4.2, 4.3 and maybe further. Am I not entitled to updates?
    Q2. 4.1.2 does not allow you to rename shortcuts - they are auto-assigned and usually start "Sign on to.." with no chance to include any words which give a clue as to what the shortcut is pointing to. Is there a fix for this?

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Re Q2.
    If you long press the short cut icon you should get an Edit/Remove option in a pop up box. Edit allows you to change its name.

Re Q1.
    If 4.1.2 is all working (as it is on 2 phones in my house) I would leave it alone. There are no very significant changes. The release of updates depends on Samsung or you or carrier if it is a branded device (ie with Vodaphone or O2 etc. software on it when purchased).

If you really want to change/improve your OS think about rooting the device- but think about it a lot and do research before doing anything!

Roger

scary alien likes this.
  3. wilko201

wilko201 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2014
    Thanks Roger,
    Long pressing an icon does launch a "remove" icon but there is no edit option.
    I had read that the inability to rename icons on samsung tablets was a known deficiency of android. I had hoped that a later release of Android (such as 4.2 or 4.3) would have had a fix for this.