• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android v. Ipad

funpig

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2010
I've been going to Best Buy and Future Shop to check out tablets. I am thinking about getting an ASUS Transformer plus keyboard. I figure that with the introduction of the Asus Transformer Prime, the older model (which does not have any GPS problem) may be discounted (current sale price is about $450 CDN for the 16GB with keyboard).

Anyways, all tablets are displayed as demos on a counter with a locked up glass case below which contains all the boxed units for sale. One thing that I noticed that all of the Android tablets (Samsung, Asus, Motorola, Toshiba, Sony) had lots of units marked with "open box" stickers. These are clearly returned units with marked down prices. On the other hand, there were no Ipads with similar stickers.

One could conclude that more dissatisfied buyers are returning Androids than Ipads. Of course, Apple may have a policy that any opened box must not be displayed for resale and must be returned to Apple. In either case, I have to tip my hat to Apple for their quality control.

PS Still using my $250 two year old HP netbook. Can't play Angry Birds and slow, but no fingerprints on the screen, 5 hours battery life and, what a neat idea, a keyboard.

If you want a tablet with a keyboard, I highly recommend the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with keyboard dock. The dock is the reason I got my Eee Pad. There is no other keyboard accessory for any tablet that comes close to that of the Eee Pad dock. It's pretty smooth and with the keyboard dock, you get 16 hours of battery life. I use it more than my PC because my PC cannot last a single evening unplugged.

Upvote 0
I've been going to Best Buy and Future Shop to check out tablets. I am thinking about getting an ASUS Transformer plus keyboard. I figure that with the introduction of the Asus Transformer Prime, the older model (which does not have any GPS problem) may be discounted (current sale price is about $450 CDN for the 16GB with keyboard).

Anyways, all tablets are displayed as demos on a counter with a locked up glass case below which contains all the boxed units for sale. One thing that I noticed that all of the Android tablets (Samsung, Asus, Motorola, Toshiba, Sony) had lots of units marked with "open box" stickers. These are clearly returned units with marked down prices. On the other hand, there were no Ipads with similar stickers.

One could conclude that more dissatisfied buyers are returning Androids than Ipads. Of course, Apple may have a policy that any opened box must not be displayed for resale and must be returned to Apple. In either case, I have to tip my hat to Apple for their quality control.

I think Apple has very tight controls and procedures about who's allowed to sell their products, authorised dealers only. All part of the Apple experience. You were lucky to find real demo Android devices to actually play with, many dealers just have non-functioning dummies on show. Don't like to show you the real thing unless it looks like you're going to be handing over money. Hat's off to Apple for not using dummy iPads, they'll let you try the real thing without restrictions.

EDIT:

This is probably why you tend to see so many opened box Android devices at retailers. They can't really demonstrate dummy devices to perspective purchasers. AFAIK Apple stores and dealers do NOT have non-functioning dummy products on show, unlike most other brands.

BTW I thought of this when I was at the local Samsung dealer this morning. Every Android phone and tablet on show was a non-working dummy.

PS Still using my $250 two year old HP netbook. Can't play Angry Birds and slow, but no fingerprints on the screen, 5 hours battery life and, what a neat idea, a keyboard.

If you have Chrome on your PC... Angry Birds Chrome

Upvote 0
If you want a tablet with a keyboard, I highly recommend the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with keyboard dock. The dock is the reason I got my Eee Pad. There is no other keyboard accessory for any tablet that comes close to that of the Eee Pad dock. It's pretty smooth and with the keyboard dock, you get 16 hours of battery life. I use it more than my PC because my PC cannot last a single evening unplugged.

I've not got the keyboard yet, but I'll certainly 2nd this recommendation for the Transformer. Even with the screen on full brightness, I don't think I'd struggle to get 5 hours (and I'm talking screen on time, not sitting idle) use out of it.

It does stutter on certain ocassions (albeit seldomly), but I'm led to believe that's a Honeycomb thing and will be sorted when we get the ICS update which is imminent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones