• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Version 2.3.6?

MRink

Lurker
Jul 19, 2012
I have Verizon / Droid X through my workplace (un-rooted). I noticed that my Android version is still on 2.3.4 while some co-workers on our Verizon plan with newer phones (Moto Droid 4) have 2.3.6.

I take it 2.3.4 is normal on the Droid X? (System Updates tells me I'm up to date.) We might not get any updates past that? Should I care that I'm missing out on anything between 2.3.4 and 2.3.6?

What got me really curious, was looking at the Exchange ActiveSync account settings on a co-worker's phone, I was shocked to see "Tasks" show up as an option (along with the standard Email, Contacts, and Calendar). I thought maybe the difference was in 2.3.4 to 2.3.6???

Thanks BigBad, yep, I have the .621 update. I assume there's no great loss in being stuck on 2.3.4 instead of newer versions? Looking at the 2.3.X release history, I don't see anything ground-breaking beyond 2.3.4, but it's hard to know what generic comments like "System enhancements" and "Camera software enhancements" include.

Like I said, the one thing that got me really curious was my co-worker's ability to select (and use) Tasks for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync. (On his 2.3.6 phone.) I see no mention of this in release notes after 2.3.4, but it would have been intersting to see for myself after upgrading. (And I really don't know what other explanation there is to him having Tasks on his phone.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones