• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android virgin nervous about his first time

toe_dipper

Lurker
Oct 15, 2012
Bleep-blurp Robots,

I am long time iOS user bored to tears with all things Apple. I've decided to make the switch to Android. The change is being brought on by the tinkering-esque aspects of Android with all the rooting and ROMing.

One of the things that has prevented me from making the switch is the puzzling epidemic of gigantism that is rampant with Android phones. In keeping up some faith, I have remained vigilant in my watch for a full featured, full powered phone in human size. I believe I've found it: Droid Razr M

This brings me to a noobish question. I am here in the frozen north of Canada and our mobile carriers are...let's just say, a little behind when it comes to phone availability. Having said that I believe I can purchase a Razr M on eBay. My question is: If I root a Razr M, can I install stock Android 4.1 or (preferably) 4.2 and run it on Rogers (GSM/HSPA+/LTE) network? If so, other than the obvious bricking/warranty voiding, are there any risks to doing this? If not, what am I missing in my limited understanding? They way I look at it, if I buy the Razr M, root it and install a stock 4.1 or 4.2 ROM it should function as a Nexus phone purchased from Google would.

Any help/guidance/psychiatrist/lobotomy suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers all.

Did someone say psychiatry?

I did a quick search and didn't turn up any vanilla 4.2 Android ROM's for the razr M, although I did find a root method and they are working on 4.1 (currently in beta) CM10 over at xda.

While the phone is GSM compatible, I wouldn't count on it running LTE on a GSM network. What's this phone got that makes you want it over others?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones