• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android voice to text through Google keyboard malfunctioning

So for the last few days I have been having the same issue of it typing out "comma" etc. But now it duplicates what I say sometimes even being incorrect. In the following sentence I am going to say "google text to speech is not working correctly" and watch what happens :

Google text to speech is not working correctlyGoogle text to speech not working correctly Google Text-to-Speech is not working correctly Google Text-to-Speech and not working correctly Google Text-to-Speech isn't working correctly

So basically it repeats several times changing parts of the sentence

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same issue out of the blue. Everything was fine, then this morning all of my voice to text efforts create a sentence with EVERY option of whichever word it was unsure of...

For a nice dose of humor, I'll attach the screen shot of my wife and I discussing the opening of a new donut shop in town. ha. all the different versions of "hop in line" ha.

voice typing.png

Upvote 0
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same issue out of the blue. Everything was fine, then this morning all of my voice to text efforts create a sentence with EVERY option of whichever word it was unsure of...

For a nice dose of humor, I'll attach the screen shot of my wife and I discussing the opening of a new donut shop in town. ha. all the different versions of "hop in line" ha.

View attachment 117391
My Note 3 (verizon) started doing this 2 days ago, nothing I do makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Hello all,
I am having to type this note freehand to make it intelligible. The Google voice to text, as you see looking back a couple of years, is an unreliable and inconsistent tool for those of us who constantly write on our phones.

This all started when who knows how many of us, over many different phone types, started to see the word "comma" pop up virtually every time we said the punctuation command. This was almost two years back on 5.1.1.1 lollipop and I had people write in and talked to people in the forums of various venues, having this SAME PROBLEM CONSTANTLY.

Many of us got together and tried manipulation of THE GOOGLE VTT (GVTT) controls on the phones to NO lasting or significant changes in the bug. Several of us tried contacting our phone manufacturers and were told to do various things from total wipe/reboot to playing with the controls again. In other words, something VERY IMPORTANT to the users who write constantly and value accuracy, was blown off by the manufacturers.

Personally I contacted Google and actually got someone on the line and took him through the bug characteristics effecting the MOST COMMON PUNCTUATION CHARACTER... THE COMMA! He entertained my problem for a time until he finally saw that this was an actual bug with NO quick fix, at which time he of course said he would send this information to those people who engineer GVTT. I of course said "thanks" and ended the conversation as I knew it would go nowhere.

We have been trying to get this fixed across everything from ZTE to Samsung to Huawei phones which use Android and have this bug. I do not know why, but regardless, there are 1000's and 1000's of us from the random sampling I have been exposed to, who are effected by the Google Voice to Text "Comma Bug".

Just recently, this has exacerbated into every likely solution to The Voice interpreted by GVTT is vomited upon the screen. We are just ramping up on trying to address this NEW BUG ON TOP OF THE OLD "comma" spelled out BUG NEVER FIXED by Android development or Google.

PLEASE EVERYONE WHO EXPERIENCES THIS BUG... WRITE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THIS THREAD!! WE NEED TO GET THESE BUGS FIXED AND IT SEEMS THEY ARE JUST GETTING WORSE WHICH DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR GOOGLE OR ANDROID IN THE SMARTPHONE MARKET.

Upvote 0
Yep, I'm having the same issue. When I say a sentence for voice to text it writes it about four times with all possible variations of what I may have been trying to say. I tried clearing cache of all apps, and also clearing all data of Google App (since that's where voice resides). No help from those steps though. Help Google!

P.S. I have an S7 Active, no root, 6.0.1

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 that's doing the same thing. I updated my phone to the Android 7.0 aka Nougat just a couple days ago but hadn't noticed it doing this until today. With as many phone makes, models, and providers out there having this same exact issue kind of proves that it's not related to any one's settings, or whether or not they are connected to WiFi. I contacted my wireless provider which is At&t and they have confirmed it's a Google speech recognition error-- what it's doing is repeating every possible phrase(s) combination -- and instead of choosing the correct phrase, it just lists all of them down. The good news is Google is aware of the issue and will be launching a fix for this hopefully soon. So, unless you have auto-update disabled, when this fix launches your google apps should be automatically updated therefor squashing this bug!! But I would periodically check for updates via "Google" searches in the PlayStore if your phone app settings are not set for auto-updates. Until then everyone has to type, or swype -- I know -- bummer!

Upvote 0
My Verizon Edge 7 started doing it today. If you speak one word at a time, EVERY possible word that MIGHT be shows up in the text.

Voice recognition in other entry windows work fine. e.g. Browser URL, Google Search,
Other texting apps don't work properly. Gmail doesn't work. It is a different system I guess.

"You have mud on your face, your're a big disgrace." turns into, "You U Yu Hugh hue has have half house hash mad mod mud might on Ahn Bond Bon your you are you're AR ER face safe faith Chase comma, Kama cama Tama your you're York Eur hey a ah hay big Bing Bigg dig disgrace disgraced this grace. Period"

SOLUTION FOUND. I uninstalled the app EXPLAIN EVERYTHING which I used for the first time yesterday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's all still screwed up for me. The punctuation marks are still spelling out as words as often as not and the repeated text seems to crop up intermittently. As a new wrinkle I had installed the Google Translate with the Spanish language to help me out on a recent trip to Cozumel. Now the voice to text function occasionally chooses to translate my input into Spanish gibberish which bears no resemblance to what I'm saying.
Since not every Android user is experiencing these issues can we assume it's related to other apps installed on the device?

Upvote 0
I don't know that it is other apps installed on the device because how could it infect Google voice to text? I have had an unending problem with my phone currently and in the past other phones comma
With the issue I just had as you see the word for the punctuation mark I was trying to speak in place spelled out comma

Why Google cannot calibrate voice to text to recognize this most common punctuation mark is far beyond me. But I have been dealing with "comma" CONSTANTLY over three different phones and the exclamation mark intermittently.

No one at Google ever replies nor anyone developing Android even though I have gotten in touch with them and given them the information to which they replied "I will send it to the right people" ....Yeah right!!

Anyways ladies and gentlemen comma keep on posting and the larger it gets the less they can avoid us.

Upvote 0
I never had the "Spanish gibberish" problem until I installed the translate app so I assumed they were related. In a recent text to my GF, I said the words:
"It doesn't look like I have it on my phone and I don't remember it."
but it came out as:
Estas loco Arcangel bromas homenaje a un hombre
I tried again and it came out:
Estas en look like a dejarme con mas fauna en Iron Man 3
The third time I tried it came out exactly as I said it. The first two results don't even sound remotely like the words I was saying so I have no idea where it came from.

Upvote 0
Have been having the same issue for months. First of all sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 times to get it to start typing in the first place. I also a day or so glitch where everything I spoke it worked out over and over. It's so very frustrating not being able to insert a comma and it doesn't matter how clearly I speak. I am running LG G3 purchase through Verizon on Verizon network. Updated in March Android 6.0 but it happened long before that. I wish they would fix it comma so I can work like I used to.

Upvote 0
It is amazing that for 2 years people have been experiencing this malfunction with something as simple as a comma punctuation mark being the default for the word comma. This being the most common punctuation mark often used multiple times in a sentence comma it affects the proper dictation of the most simple text to the most complex treatise dictated into social media.

This is a prime example of a market where a monopoly on voice to text held by Google comma is very destructive to what once was a very useful and accurate tool. I hope they will listen to us someday.

Reactions: Al Martin
Upvote 0
Same punctuating problems like everyone here. LG G4 with 6.0 OS and swiftkey . Problem started about 6mo. ago. Punc's briefly work every so often. Extremely annoying and it's apparently clear that Google doesn't care. Google fixing the bug? good luck with that as it will cost Google $ . Like all software companies they're in the business of making money and spending as little as possible. I wish Google would provide access to a personal online/offline dictionary that we could edit and sync. We're in serious need of a competitive service.

Upvote 0
I am suddenly having the same issue with my punctuation period it just began acting up in the past week or so period the period never works correctly anymore period the, and the! Seem to work fine period Good Lord, this is frustrating! I have tried several remedies listed here, but none seem to be working period I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus on Sprint period

Upvote 0
I was once able to dictate long communications between myself and other theologians who used android voice to text as well. I was able to do this on email, Google docs and text. Over the past two to three weeks, every time I write an extended email or text or Google doc, I get malfunctioning regarding the punctuation commands portion of the text. "Comma" and "exclamation point" etc., except for periods, are written out such as at the beginning of this sentence. This has shut down my ability to communicate with my friends and family. There are instances where it will work a couple of times in the beginning sentence then it will start writing out COMMA or the other punctuation except periods. Is there any way to change the voice engine or fix this problem? Please help. Many Thanks ....

My problem isn't punctuation. It's having the app stay on long enough to get my whole message. As soon as I say "period" at the end of a sentence, and sometimes before that, it stops listening.

Upvote 0
I have experienced all of the problems listed in this thread, even the one that Charlene mentioned with the delay in the text typing out. My temporary solution to the delay problem has been to say my sentence into the phone, then set it down for about 15 seconds. It will eventually produce the sentence on the screen, then I can voice to text normally for the remainder of that particular entry. However, every time I do this the sentence will start with a space in front and the first word will not be capitalized. I am currently typing this entry on my desktop because it is way faster than trying to work around the %$#*&! glitches in the voice to text. My guess as to what caused all of this in the first place would be one of the many updates we get crammed down our throats whether or not we want them. The basis for this hypothesis is that many users here switched phones after getting this issue only to find within a relatively short time they were experiencing it again. This would be about the same amount of time a new phone would get the newest update for it. This also leads me to believe that the updates, however new they may be, still contain whatever bug started this in the first place. Most updates, from my understanding, are really just patches for previous bugs or glitches so there is no re-write for what caused the problem. Other companies such as those that deal with anti-virus, spyware, and such tend to re-write their programming when they find that their program is causing a major glitch with something common. Why can these smaller companies do this relatively quickly and Google, with more money than God, can't fix whatever problem they created in the first place??
The whole reason I switched to a smart phone in the first place was for the ability to do voice to text since most of my customers now text more than call. It can hardly be called a smart phone when it acts so completely dumb, right?? Personally, if I was Samsung or whatever other manufacturers use the android platform, I would basically tell Google to fix it or to f&%# off or they will quit installing it on their phones. The next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs that can come up with a better operating system is likely to become wealthier than those 2 combined.
Well that was a lot for just my 2 cents worth but I am as frustrated as everyone else here!
I have 2 Galaxy S4's and 1 Galaxy S5

Upvote 0
Same problem -- tried all of the above and no help. Argh! I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I got it Nov of 2017 and the talk to text punctuation worked perfectly on it - for about 8 months. Then sometime around August I think it stopped working. The only punctuation mark it now knows is "hyphen." I figured it must have happened during some kind of update.

In my case, it DOES work if I have Wi-Fi on, however I use it to write books and don't usually want the radiation of Wi-Fi close to my face, so I turn it off much of the time. (For those who think this is crazy, read the new CA cell phone guidelines).
I have written Google but no response. Extremely frustrating. Why in the world did they destroy something that used to work well???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones