1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

android vs iphone4

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by njtexas, May 22, 2011.

1. njtexas

njtexas Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I've decided to make the switch from a blackberry to a Droid or Iphone. I have verizon. However, I'm leaning towards a Droid. I like the size of the Iphone. My friend has the Verizon Thunderbolt and it seems so big.

Is there a Droid out there that is the size of the Iphone? I am not interested in the Droid 1, 2 or Droid Pro. Any suggestions? Coming from an 8330 blackberry curve, does it really matter if I go with 3G vs. 4G? Anyway, I'd love some feedback on which Verizon droid is solid yet not as huge as the T-bolt.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. gunderscorewil

gunderscorewil Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta
    Coming from what you are coming from, you wont really need the LTE connectivity. But it will probably be nice. Unfortunately, all of Verizons current LTE phones have 4.3in displays.

The Samsung Fascinate (which is pretty "old" in smartphone-years) and the Droid Incredible 2 both offer higher level android experience, 3G, and smaller 4in Displays. If you want something smaller you are indeed looking at Droid, Droid 2, Citrus or the extra-old Droid Eris and Original Incredible (which you cant even buy from them i believe).

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Neither here nor there. Whether 4G is of any benefit depends on whether or not you have 4G in your area -- not on the device you're coming from.

4. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    I have a HTC Desire HD (HTC Inspire in the USA) and my (very non techy) wife has a white iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is gorgeous but it's also quite dumbed down when compared to Android.

Yer pays yer money...yer takes yer choice.

5. substring

substring Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    You do realize that none of the carriers are providing TRUE 4G at this time. They are merely enhancing the 3G to provide a 3.5G. Someone has posted a detailed explanation on this, but I can't remember the title or the sub-forum. You might want to do a search if you are interested to read it. It's very educational and keeps you from being fooled by the carriers.

northendtrooper likes this.
  6. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I would recommend the Samsung Fascinate. It's pretty much the same size as the iPhone 4. My friend has one and its very nice. Plus the TouchWiz interface is similar to the iPhone interface so a lot of the subtle things about Android wont be as difficult to adjust to.

7. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    I would take a look at the Incredible 2 as well. I would also recommend you take a look at several devises,play with them a few times and just experience them for yourself before you decide.

8. Anthony00814

Anthony00814 Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    The new iPhone 4 is boasting some absorbing specs, including a front-facing camera, high-definition 720p video recording capability, 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, best array life.Android advertisement is the recently-confirmed Droid X. The Droid X appearance a 4.3-inch affectation , HDMI output, and 720p video recording capability.

9. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK

LTE is the 4G technology. HSPA+ is an upgrade to 3G. I'm feeling generous so I'll call it 3.75G :D

10. gunderscorewil

gunderscorewil Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta
    None of the networks in the states provide true 4G. True 4G has to have a peak of at least 100mbps. None of ours do that. The ITU is very confusing in that they keep changing their minds about it but back in october they officially said that LTE (VZW) and WiMAX (Sprint) are NOT true 4G. But then in December they half changed their minds. But in any case they dont deliver close to 100mbs.

11. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    LTE has the capability to reach 100mbps but the network providers prefer to throttle the speeds. I don't know what WiMax is capable of.

12. 2strokenut

2strokenut Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Lte cannot do 100 mbps. However Lte advanced and wimax 2 are capable of 100 +

13. .Johnathan

.Johnathan Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    LTE can only go up to 99mbps WiMax can go up to 60mbps I believe.

14. northendtrooper

None

Nov 7, 2009
    Well this got OT pretty fast.
    OP: If you compare Iphone 4 to a lot of android phones, it is inferior. Also I believe the community backing on the android is stronger. Make sure what phone you get has a unlocked boot loader because it not matter to you now but in the future when you're warranty expires and the phone isn't worth as much as it was new then you will want to root it and explore it where you couldn't with an Ios unless you jail break it.

EarlyMon likes this.
  15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    The ITU - the specs body for the standards and naming - took forever and changed course multiple times before settling on WiMAX 2 and LTE Advanced as capable of meeting the final 4G spec.

Within days, they made a public statement that WiMAX, LTE, and HSPA+ all provided superior experiences to 3G and could be officially referred to as 4G.

Once that announcement came, others stopped referring to it as 3.5G - if the ITU says it's 4G, it's 4G.

There's no telling if or when the US will ever get WiMAX 2 or LTE Advanced. We have what we have and it's called 4G.

No need to confuse the issue for someone with a simple question: Blackberry to iPhone or Android, 3G or 4G?

End of off-topic debate.

~~~~~~

Excellent write-up.

16. alehic

alehic Newbie
    None

May 27, 2011
    I would recomend a droid phone over the phone any day, just for the customer service side, with a droid phone you can take it back to your cariers store front with the phone you have to deal with apple if something happens to it, not a problem if you are close to a apple store, sucks if you are not