1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android Wear with epilepsy shake alert?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jdub22, Mar 14, 2016.

1. jdub22

jdub22 Member
    None

Jul 8, 2014
    First, my apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

My wife has epilepsy, and I'm looking for a solution that will notify me if she has a seizure. Perhaps an Android Wear device, like a watch that pairs with her phone. If the gyro on the watch detects shaking (which is what would happen in the event of a seizure) I want it to give a X-second countdown to allow for disabling the alert. If the countdown expires, automatically (immediately) send a text message including GPS location to my phone.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there that can do something like this? My wife and I both work and are separated for about 12 hours every day. She relies on public transit because she can't drive, and I can't always drive her to/from work. It would really give us peace of mind when we're not together.

It would be a nightmare for my wife to have a seizure in public and go several hours not knowing where she is. And you never know if anyone who sees her having a seizure will even help because let's face it, we live in a world where people may not be inclined to stop and help when they see someone having an issue. The GPS location is so important, it would allow me to go directly to her without relying on a person to contact me in a timely manner (which likely would not happen if she has a seizure in public).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    you could program that with tasker and auto wear and an android wear device. You'd use the"shake" event built into auto wear which does respond to a variety of shake directions. It will take a little bit of study for you to figure out tasker. Alternative is to prompt her to do something every 30 minutes...If she doesn't respond, then the logic assumes she's having a seizure.

3. Wondering1000

Wondering1000 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2019
    Female
    I know this is an old thread but I'd be interested to hear of any developments here. I hope wear OS can come up with something for epilepsy.

joe71 likes this.