1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android without GMail

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Laionidas, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Laionidas

Laionidas Guest
    None
    Recently my grandmother got my uncle's old cellphone, and today I've been trying to set it up for her. It's an LG-P990, running on Android 2.2.2, which can't be further upgraded. In order to have everything run smoothly, but trying to not overcomplicate things, I set up a Google account for her, without Gmail, using her provider based email address. That worked out just fine, and I have been able to get her entire addressbook mishmash into her new Google Contacts.

However, I am not able to get the cellphone to log in to Google, as it simply responds that her account is not a Gmail account. As such, it's unable to sync her contacts etc. I'm guessing that it's due to the device running on an older version of Android, dating from prior to when Non-Gmail Google accounts were an option.

Does anyone know a way to get around this and make the device connect to her Google account, or am I forced to set up a bogus Gmail address for her as well? If so, is there a way to attach the bogus Gmail address to be made to her current Google account, and keep her provider based email address (the one she actually uses) as the main address?

Any help is much appreciated,

Advertisement

2. Camp Smith

Camp Smith Member
    None

Jun 15, 2015
    Android 2.2.2 is not very polished. It's quite cumbersome.

#2 Camp Smith, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    When you open gmail on her phone go to Settings > Add account and use her current email address. HTH

4. Laionidas

Laionidas Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2016
    Male
    The thing is I can't even get to the point where I can go to settings, since it needs a Gmail account first.

It did seem to recognize the Google login though, since it states that [GRANDMA] doesn't have Gmail, whereas when I tried to login with a completely non-existent account, it simply said that the specified user did not exist.

I guess recognizing the login, it allows me to claim a new Gmail account on said address, but just to be sure I made a Gmail account on the computer, while allready logged in on her Non-Gmail Google account. That seems to have worked, and a new Gmail account is now fused to the Non-Gmail Google account I allready made. It also allows her to log into Google, including on her phone, using her Non-Gmail email address. Her account name was also still available on Gmail, so she can just login with her usual username without the @provider.country extension, and it will be automatically be patched through to either her new Gmail address or her regular provider email account, depending on what the app or PC based program requires.

Very pointless and convoluted, but at least it's working now. Thank you and Smithy for your kind replies!

badcatz likes this.