• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android wont connect to wifi

metulburr

Sep 13, 2013
I have a 4 year old tablet that i cannot connect to my wifi out of the blue at all. Its an ASUS, not sure exact model.

Yesterday i noticed i lost internet on the tablet and could not fix the issue at all via software, so i decided to do a hard reboot/factory reset. I can connect to my router fine it says connected, , but when i try t log into my gmail account i only see
Couldnt sign in
Cant establish a reliable connection to the server
This could be a temporary problem. Try again or connect to another wifi network
After hard rebooting i can no longer sign in at all, so i cant get the exact model info either. I tried unplugging power from our modem and router as well, but that didnt do anything. I tried the power button and volume up button, but that only gives the option for hard reboot and no info as well.

I don't have a table but isn't it just like by a phone that when you turn it on you put in your pin? Why would you need to sign into your Google account in order to turn it on?

Also, can you put in a Sim card and see if that gives you internet connection?

As for WiFi connection, see if the tablet connects to other networks, that way you'll know which one is the problem.

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
OK so you've done those reboots and even a Factory Reset but there's still an issue with WiFi connectivity. You really should try taking it somewhere and try to connect to a different WiFi network to determine if it's a problem with just your home WiFi or with your tablet.
-- If it's with your tablet, do you have any kind of anti-virus/anti-malware app installed? Try disabling it and see if that helps. You might also want to try booting your tablet up into its Safe Mode and see if WiFi connectivity is working properly. If yes that's an indicator there's some app you've installed that's interfering with the networking functionality of your tablet. The hard part is deducing which app but at least that's a start. And this a remote possibility but you might also want to try wiping the system cache partition. The system cache is separate from your app caches and it won't affect your data, and it needs to be done while your tablet is running in its Recovery Mode. (Without knowing just what model of Asus tablet, I can't look up more details on booting your table into either Safe Mode or Recovery Mode.)
-- If you can connect successfully with a different WiFi network (without those erring log in prompts), than take a look at your home network. Try disabling IPv6 in your router's settings menu. You might also want to just create a new, unique SSID name and password, which will require you to set up this new WiFi network on your tablet (If you've always just used the default name and password when you did a reset on your router, that SSID name and password entry in your tablet could be corrupted so by creating a new SSID your tablet will be using that new one instead.) Or if you're hesitant to creating a different SSID/password you could just set up a new, temporary 'guest' network, if your tablet works OK connecting to that guest network than that would be an indicator setting up up a new SSID should help.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones