• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android x86_64 installation issues on optiplex xe

I got an optiplex xe (64bit system) from work when they upgraded their systems. It is a business model that has many features unfamiliar to me such as an advanced bios that even includes mouse support and collapsing tree structure for selecting topics (never seen that before in a bios, granted, my exp is limited in this regard).

I got windows 8 installed just fine (and starts/shutdown unbelievably fast compared to my laptop).

But android x86_64 (ver 6, I don't remember all confectionary names) is giving me problems. The legacy os as well as I've been trying both with identical results.

Several times it would load and stop at terminal command line, and I could look around the file system just fine (about the only thing I remember how to do on the command line without reference material).

But usually, it blinks past the terminal like it would when it loads the gui, but it never succeeds at loading the gui, instead it either is just a black screen or a black screen with an unblinking underscore in the top right corner (it doesn't type nor display any characters from keyboard input)

I've installed 3 different versions of android x86 on my laptop just fine, so I have some minor idea of what I'm doing, and this seems to me like a likely video issue but I can't be certain and this kind of business machine with all the strange built in stuff could be interfering in some way.

Now I've looked up the service tag (gotta love dell service tags), and it seems this machine's built in video card has no integrated video memory. Not sure if that is a problem.

I've set kernal parameter vga=ask and tried various modes to no avail.

The system is pure legacy, no efi boot options (that I can find anyway), and it seems to stick with grub 1 instead of grub 2 (even tnough my live stick uses grub 2 on my laptop), though I'm only guessing that it is grub 1 from the differences in how I access and alter the kernel parameters.

The dell support site simply calls the model OptiPlex XE. (so old that the warranty expired in 2014).

Strangely both harddrives have the same id code even though raid was not set up (though the option was there in the bios). Disconnecting one of the drives doesn't affect my problem and it doesn't seem to have any other impact than to be confusing when selecting a boot device.

I want to use android version 8 later, but my iso disappeared on me so I have to wait till I can download it again (takes like 15 hours on my phone connection then halts from taking too long).

Some details,
64 bit system
Core 2 Duo E7400/ 2.8GHz,3M,1066FSB
2gb ram
dual 150gb hdd
gma 4500 built in graphics
everything is sata
dvd rom
ps2 ports
plenty of usb
boots to usb just fine (is how I installed windows 8)
has a chassis intrusion switch
Broadcom TruManage Systems Management Enabled
Dell Energy Smart Power Management Settings Enabled

-
android x86_64 v6 r1

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones