1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android Xperia X10 full wipe help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mystery007, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Mystery007

Mystery007 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    First of all i would like to say hi to everybody, im a new android user and i would love that everyone that can help me could explain things very well otherwise i wont understand a thing xD
    Also, english is not my main language so mind the gramatic mistakes :p
    Now into the problem:

My sister received a Xperia X10i from my father and it's all messed up... My dad is not the best person to use a smartphone so I need help fixing it up for her. Im used to my blackberry so my idea on what would be the best for the phone was:
    (im not sure if you can do this, im adapting the backberry procedure to android)

-Wipe the phone to it's "paper weight" state: Completely remove software, clean the phone without leaving any piece of android.

-Load updated os: Right now it's running os 1.6 (wich sucks) and whenever i try to root it i cant... it bugs out and the aplication stops (tried both rooting exploits) So i though that maybe loading os 2.3.3/the latest in the phone would fix that

-Rooting: It's always good...

-Flashing a custom rom

-Wiping device again(? clean it, root it, and then load a custom os with OS4 or 3... , anywhy try to load the latest os possible so that it would run smooth/faster

-Install everything with the changed rom...

Can i do this? do you know how to fully hard clean the phone?

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Hi, and welcome to Android Forums.

To return the device to an "out-of-the-box" state, simply go into Settings/Privacy and select Factory data reset. This will wipe all user data (contacts, photos, installed apps etc) and reset the OS to the default settings. Preinstalled apps such as Gmail, Maps etc will be retained.

I hope this is of use to you.

Crashdamage and funkylogik like this.
  3. Mystery007

Mystery007 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    Hmmm but it's not that what i really wanted... i wanted to know if i can wipe the phone of EVERYTHING!!! kinda like cleaning the rom too... Then installing everything again..can i do that?

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can't. If you clean the phone, you can install anything on it without specialized hardware. You can wipe it to recovery mode though, that's the mode where the only thing you can do is to install Android software. One thing though, if you can't root the device, you ain't doing anything of the things you mentioned. The only way you can install clean ROM's made for the device is if the device is rooted. Rooting means admin access, so you can't touch the secure files without it. Just factory reset the thing.

Crashdamage likes this.
  5. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Looking for a Job
    The Shire
    YOu can install updates/newer firmware from the manufacturer (if available) with an unlocked bootloader. That's what I've done with my Xperia U. Have a look in this forum: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 - Android Forums

Maybe a mod can move this to the X10 forum.