• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

androidforms has been hacked, and user data stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBARNETT

Lurker
Feb 24, 2011
Hello,

I use a unique email address to register with EVERY place that I sign up for. And today, I've received spam TO that email address, the one used to register at androidforums.com.

Over the last 22 years that I have done this, every single solitary time -- more than 40+ such incidents, this has always been the result of a hack (outside of obvious "people selling email addresses to spammers" situations).

To the owners of this forum/website -- you may think that my email address is somewhat guessable -- think again. Not once, in over 1500 instances of my usage of this method, has a spammer EVER automatically guessed. And if you think about it, you will realise why this isn't the case -- not when spammers use entirely automated tools -- or hacks, to obtain email addresses.

To all members of this forum -- be forewarned. Your email, and almost certainly all other info used to sign up for an account, has been compromised. Take appropriate action. Change any password, that (foolishly, I might add) uses the same credentials as for this website.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
it is an old story dredged up to run as new...

I have not had any problems at all....
usually, I use a unique address for each vendor or forum also.

JackLovesToPlaySecure-forumName@yahoo.com

'secure-' is automatically added to your unique base Yahoo email address.
gonna take a lot of computer horsepower to guess that everyone of us uses that unique type email address.... especially since I usually use random characters in the "Secure-xyz34@yahoo.com"

part of the email address

EDIT BY STAFF: Closing this thread, please use the latest thread in the announcements section for the 2017 emails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BPMz
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones