1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android's "Xiaoying" App?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Knottinghamsterballin775, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Knottinghamsterballin775

None

Jul 17, 2016
    "Was this the droid we were looking for?"

What exactly is the "Xiaoying" software application bundled with new Android smartphones?

A Google search returns the following quote, "Xiaoying is a mobile app focused on filming and sharing mobile phone micro videos and micro films."

Can someone please elaborate in GREATER DETAIL the five w's for this application.

Who
    manufactures the Xiaoying application?
    What is the Xiaoying application's purpose? How does it function?
    When was the Xiaoying application started?
    Where did the Xiaoying application originate geographically, and where is it stored on my phone? and
    Why do I need this application? If I remove Xiaoying, how will it affect my smartphone's performance!!!

Respectfully,

- John McKnottilus Esq. :mustachedroid:

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    When you say "bundled with new android smartphones", which phones have you found it on?

Different phones have different bundled apps, it depends on what the manufacturer decides to include. Full OHA members will include the Google app suite, but anything else is up to them. And this isn't a Google app: the first hit in my web search says that it's made by Hangzhou Quwei Science and Technology Co. from Zhejiang, China. So I'd not be surprised if it's mainly found on Chinese market devices, but can't be sure as I've never heard of it before.

If it's pre-installed you probably can't remove it without rooting your device, but you could always try disabling it. Pre-installed apps live in /system/app, which you cannot even see without root. From the limited description of it in that link it seems unlikely that it does anything important.

mikedt and svim like this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    No such thing on my Samsung.

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    The OP is likely trying to be clever & spamming the site with this garbage.
    If I'm wrong OP,by all means,let's hear it..................

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    It's a video streaming app. Xiaoying literally means "small movie".

Is it a Chinese device you've got there?

Hadron likes this.
  6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    It appears not,according to the OP's profile,it's a Kyocera Brigadier,built for VZW,which I assume is correct,as this is the OP's 1st post...............
    You tell me how one would stumble upon such a site stateside.....................

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Ah, I can't see the OP profile details in Tapatalk, only their Facebook name.

I think the streaming app in question is definitely for PRC, if it's available elsewhere. Sometimes with these things you must register using a +86 phone number, to prove who you are, and for SMS billing occasionally. I've never used this one myself.

How it got on a Verizon phone stateside, perhaps it came or was pushed with something else. Cheetah Mobile, Qihoo 360, Baidu, etc. Has the OP been installing anything that didn't come from Google or Amazon?

EDIT:

A little bit more research, the English name for XiaoYing is VivaVideo. Does that ring any bells as an installed app on a Verizon phone?
    http://vivavideo.tv
    No mention of China, or Zhejiang, or Hangzhou, or anything else PRC on their international site of course. :thumbsupdroid:

...and to answer the OP's fourth question...Where did the Xiaoying application originate geographically
    http://www.maps-of-china.net/c_hangzhou_map.html
    I do know Hangzhou, I used to live there! :D

#7 mikedt, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I know VivaVideo. Some people here (PH) use it as an alternative to Musically and post stuff on Facebook with it.

mikedt likes this.
  9. Sherbiedoo

Sherbiedoo Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2016
    Male
    I have this on my phone as well. Verizon LG. Was curious as to see if I could get rid of it also, that is without hurting phone performance

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    So a Chinese social video app, that Verizon is evidently installing on their customized version phones

11. TimberWolf5871

None

Oct 25, 2016
    Male
    Boost Mobile phone here, has it too. Maybe it's an LG thing? Whatever, I'm deleting it if it lets me. I don't record videos or edit pictures. Don't need, don't want.

12. Salwc2k

Salwc2k Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Just for the record, I have a Samsung S6 and just noticed that Ziao Ying on my phone this morning as it was not there last nigt and the only thing I did was to buy an app from the Google App store called VivaVideo (video editing SW) and that is when this appeared on my phone. So I believe that downloading that app is what put that on my phone. I will research some more to see if that is true but what else can it be as it literally got on my phone overnite after installing the video editing software, my phone was off all night and this appeared on my phone this morning when I woke up.

13. Salwc2k

Salwc2k Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Did you download any video editing software such as "Viva Video? Thats where I believe mine came from.

14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    No need to research, Viva Video is only the English name for Xiaoying(Chinese meaning little movie), one and the same. Uninstall Viva Video and it will be gone.

#14 mikedt, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  15. Salwc2k

Salwc2k Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    California
    Yes, I found that out, thank you for the reply. It's actually a pretty good app so I am keeping it now that I know what it is. I downloaded it myself from the app store so it didn't just appear on its own or from vzw.

mikedt likes this.