• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AndroidTether issues-infrastructure mode

Alsaces Daddy

Android Expert
Nov 13, 2011
Florida
Alright, here's the thing. I have been facing some issues with forced reboot when this is running. My battery is only at about 100F. I only have one thing running, which is usually my xbox, and I'll get to that later, but It keeps rebooting my phone by itself, and I don't know how to fix it. I have changed a few of the settings including: Device Profile, switched it back. Setup method, switched it back. SSID, switched it back... You get the picture. Everything I could change I have tried, but inevitably switched it back. Now with my xbox tethering, while I am playing online, I am only getting on average 75 kbps download and same for upload. I dont know why it's so slow, but my average speed test on my phone is about 250-450 down/up. It sucks.. I know, and PRLs have not helped, 3G turbo hasn't helped and switching the proxies and 4VFG hasn't helped. If anyone has any ideas on this PLEASE feel free to offer advice, and yes jock speak is appreciated. :D

i am facing similar issues

1- 3g speeds completely took a shit i guess within the past 3 weeks...used to get between 2000 and 2500 kbps down and a lil more up..now im lucky to get 150-200 up and down..

2-i could charge my phone to 100% ..take it off the charger and use it moderately over a half hour span and it will go from 100% to between 80 and 85% in twenty mins..ive looked at apps and all kinds of other stuff..still have no idea whats going on.cant find the problem.

Upvote 0
Please provide info on what rom you're using, any recent changes or updates, etc.

If it's any help I'm using cm7 hotfix beta2d (not the newest cm7), and I can literally leave tethering going all night long and never lose connection or have an issue with the phone. This is with the charger plugged in, of course.

I can't speak on the speed issue, my speed has always remained about constant with no recent dips or anything. Having said that I get slow speeds where I live as apparently I'm far from the nearest tower (odd, being that I'm in a densely populated area next to a large mall).

Upvote 0
My xbl speeds are fine but I'm doing it slightly differently than you. I have my computer tethered to my phone and xbox plugged into the computer with internet connection sharing enabled on the wifi card on my computer. I had to do it this way as I don't have the xbox wifi adapter. If you try this remember to disable the firewall for both adapters.

As far as your 3g speeds they're pretty crappy. I get ~1.5 mb down and .5 up pretty consistently. I'm on stock ej06 with root and no custom kernel atm.

The rebooting happens occasionally for me but almost always happens when I'm doing something else on my phone such as texting, calling, or web browsing. I can usually get about 12 hours without reboot if I don't touch my phone while tethering.

Upvote 0
You do relize teathering uses TONS of data there-for lots of extra traffic through phone which was not ment for thus heating it up causing reboots and battry distruction

Actually a full day of xbox live for me uses between 50 and 100 mbs whereas streaming a handful of youtube videos uses about the same amount.

As far as the firewall I meant the firewalls on your computer for your wireless adapter and the wired one that you would be plugging the xbox into.

EDIT, making this forum post used about the same amount of data as a 10 minute game on Xbox live.

Upvote 0
Actually a full day of xbox live for me uses between 50 and 100 mbs whereas streaming a handful of youtube videos uses about the same amount.

As far as the firewall I meant the firewalls on your computer for your wireless adapter and the wired one that you would be plugging the xbox into.

EDIT, making this forum post used about the same amount of data as a 10 minute game on Xbox live.

uses way more then taht lol---wow where did you get that figure- i use upwords 50mbs a day just in emails and various web surfing...i average 6-10GB a month data usage without tethering--

Upvote 0
uses way more then taht lol---wow where did you get that figure- i use upwords 50mbs a day just in emails and various web surfing...i average 6-10GB a month data usage without tethering--

I get that figure from the usage statistics from wifi tether. I used it for a full day and it averaged to around 75 mb for about 3.5 hours... Web browsing takes way more than xbox live considering that you're loading tons of data from a web page rather than a few packets on xbl. Most of the processing occurs on the xbox live servers rather than p2p information which is why even if someone lags out you can't just shoot them when they're running in place because on the actual server they're not there.

Some computer games use p2p kinda stuff and I'm sure some xbl games do as well (which is why some you get a horrid connection while others you're perfectly fine) but I know for a fact that black ops is server processed because that's the game I got my statistics from.

I'll check the stats for MW3 in a bit but I know it uses far less than average web browsing and file streaming.

Upvote 0
I'm playing mw3 and as soon as I get to multiplayer it lags down to about 40 kbps. I just turned off the firewall on my computer and I'm going to thether thru it to my xbox using a bridge port but I'm not sure how that will ensure that my wifi doesn't lag down again. It has to be something with the phone I believe. I dont see anything for a firewall other than for DroidWall app. Any more advice?

Upvote 0
So just checking back with my numbers.... 33 minutes in and I've used 5.7 mb... at 3 hours that would be about 33 34.2 mb

as for connecting though the computer like I said in the other post I seem to get better speeds from the pc rather than the phone itself so maybe it'll keep the data flowing rather than lagging down. I've seen my speeds to the computer spike to around 3mbps if only for a moment our two.

Don't bridge the connection that had always failed for me just enable ics(internet connection sharing) on your wifi adapter.

Upvote 0
My xbl speeds are fine but I'm doing it slightly differently than you. I have my computer tethered to my phone and xbox plugged into the computer with internet connection sharing enabled on the wifi card on my computer. I had to do it this way as I don't have the xbox wifi adapter. If you try this remember to disable the firewall for both adapters.

As far as your 3g speeds they're pretty crappy. I get ~1.5 mb down and .5 up pretty consistently. I'm on stock ej06 with root and no custom kernel atm.

The rebooting happens occasionally for me but almost always happens when I'm doing something else on my phone such as texting, calling, or web browsing. I can usually get about 12 hours without reboot if I don't touch my phone while tethering.

Talk about double NAT lol... It should work fine, but when it comes to the PS3 atleast for best performance you have to have port forwarding enabled, which I also can't figure out how to adjust in wireless tether.

A quick reminder about bandwidth usage, remember that game developers have to pay for the bandwidth you use, so it's in their best interest to make it as little as possible.

Working for Internet tech support myself, I hear this "wives tale" that games have intense bandwidth requirements constantly. Games require low packet loss, low jitter, adequate bandwidth (in almost every case it's below 100kbps up and down) and low ping for a good experience.

The saddest part of it all is, a "better gaming experience" is a "selling point" for faster internet services, so explaining that to customers is not an easy task.

Upvote 0
Talk about double NAT lol... It should work fine, but when it comes to the PS3 atleast for best performance you have to have port forwarding enabled, which I also can't figure out how to adjust in wireless tether.

QUOTE]

Have you tried enabling the routing fix? Not sure if that helps at all. I am curious which LAN setting I should be using also.

Upvote 0
Sort you're having such a difficult time with this. Do you live near a major city where you can try at a friends house or anything? I don't see any logical reason it should be slowing down once you connect the xbox. One thought though is: I'm using beta 6 (i think) none of the pre-releases. I've ben happy with it the way it is so I haven't "upgraded" at all.

Upvote 0
okay im having a small problem tethering ps3 ...i am using beta 8... i never had a problem running my laptop off my phone..but now when i try to sign into playstation network it says..error during communication with server this is a dns problem..i have already switched to infastructer mode a while back..first time trying to tether ps3..anyone have this problem? or have the soloution?

Upvote 0
I dunno what to tell you. Try rebooting then try again. If that doesn't work then uninstall and reinstall. Still no success then go back to the earlier versions of android tether. I'm bouncing bouncing and forth still. But found better success with apk6. Still not seamless by far, with the dreaded red solo bar but it connects. Best of luck Bro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones