• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Two things:

1) Yes, it does suck. Actually, yesterday, in loading up the page on my computer, it tried to download a trojan/virus. When I had opened it on my DROID, it said "unsafe certificate." I have thus deleted both bookmarks from my computer and DROID. It might have been a reason for the slow loading. But also, I'm sure that page is like the Engadget page, rife with errors. It's also got a lot of banner ads.

2) Google promised with the Nexus One a web-interface Market. So, hopefully, we'll see that developed in the short time. Will enable us from having to go to these shady sites.

Upvote 0
Two things:

1) Yes, it does suck. Actually, yesterday, in loading up the page on my computer, it tried to download a trojan/virus. When I had opened it on my DROID, it said "unsafe certificate." I have thus deleted both bookmarks from my computer and DROID. It might have been a reason for the slow loading. But also, I'm sure that page is like the Engadget page, rife with errors. It's also got a lot of banner ads.

2) Google promised with the Nexus One a web-interface Market. So, hopefully, we'll see that developed in the short time. Will enable us from having to go to these shady sites.
Do you have a source for that web-based Market? This is the first I've heard of it. The existing Google site about the market doesn't count.

I use Androlib even though it's slow. I feel like it's easier to find stuff on it sometimes.

Upvote 0
I believe Motorola has also stated that they were working on a web interface market. I remember reading about it right after the Droid came out, and critics were critical, go figure, about google not doing it themselves.

Ya, google did say they were going to have one as well. They announced it when they announced the N1. Most likely it's still in development, but they are more likely pre-occupied with getting better support for N1 users (since they are having 3G problems, and don't have propper customer support up and running).

Bottom line is, there will be a better web-based market place, but we are going to just have to wait a little longer for it.

Upvote 0
Okay, I got it, but not verbatim, since I couldn't find the transcript:

A question was asked to Mario Q about developing app distribution through the Google Web store. To which Mario answered that they are focusing on ways in which to make it easier to gets apps up and running. And that they want to continually innovate the way consumers can get to apps. One of the ways is to allow people to pay for their applications through their phone bills.

That's all I got. I guess I interpreted that as Google working on a Marketplace within their phone portal for the purchasing of applications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones