• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Androot problem (keeps failing)

At this next step, it shows the #, so that's fine. But after each command, it says it's a "read-only file system". I continued on anyways. But then here: "- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su", it says "unable to chmod (blah blah): No such file or directory"

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

Upvote 0
At this next step, it shows the #, so that's fine. But after each command, it says it's a "read-only file system". I continued on anyways. But then here: "- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su", it says "unable to chmod (blah blah): No such file or directory"

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

this should be taking care of that
-
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

but you could try
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/mtdblock4 /system

Upvote 0
Ahhhh
Scratch that. With the # symbol still there, I tried copying and pasting every step from the instructions. No errors or anything this time.

I finished and exited CMD like it said. Now what do I do?!?

thats it, you should be done
try downloading wireless tether for root users from the market and running it or from adb run
adb shell
su

and if you get a prompt on your screen press allow

Upvote 0
I had downloaded Superuser to my SD card yesterday. I just opened the program and the "Allow" screen popped up. Wahhooo! Thank you for the continuous help!!!!!!!!

Now enlighten me... What is the deodex thing? I don't remember that from rooting the first Droid. Also, why is everyone complaining about no themes, yet there are threads with themes? Besides being rooted, what do I need to install a theme?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I had downloaded Superuser to my SD card yesterday. I just opened the program and the "Allow" screen popped up. Wahhooo! Thank you for the continuous help!!!!!!!!

Now enlighten me... What is the deodex thing? I don't remember that from rooting the first Droid. Also, why is everyone complaining about no themes, yet there are threads with themes? Besides being rooted, what do I need to install a theme?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

you don't remember it because all the devs deodexed it from the start. This allows themes. And yes Fab did release nextheme for 2.2 its on the 3rd page. You need bootstrap recovery app and rom manager

Upvote 0
Can't I just use ROM Manager to do backups?
Still puzzled....

Sorry that I'm sounding so ignorant. I promise I'm not :)

Every thread leads to another that says you have to install something else first.
Right now, I have ROM Manager installed. Beyond that, I'm lost again.
In simple, step by step terms, can you suggest what I do next? I need to charge my netbook and I'll be back soon. THANK YOU :) :) :)

Upvote 0
you can, in rom manager there is a button that says backup

Okay, thanks. I thought I had to do it some special way..

In the NexTheme thread, http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/144930-theme-nextheme-v2-1-droid-x-8-16-2010-a.html , I don't see the file on page 3. I think your settings are different from mine and show more our less posts per page. I browsed the first 4 pages and only see a file containing the stock theme. (Besides the original post, of course.)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones