1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Ann: Great Little War Game coming soon

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RubiconDude, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Trelance

Trelance Lurker

Hey I would love to trial the game I have beat the game on my IPad. All 3 Levels (PS need more levels too...lol) I have an EVO 4G and am looking forward to the android version...really bad lol I might be addicted...lol

Advertisement

2. RubiconDude

RubiconDude Well-Known Member

Nice one!

Can you send your full name and phone details to support@greatlittlewargame.com please ?

You'll be pleased to know we're putting the finishing touches to a new free campaign which will be coming out with an iOS update shortly, and this will also be in the Android version.

We've have a bit of a setback here so the first Beta to go out might be a couple more days yet.

jerofld likes this.
  3. ace428

ace428 Lurker

I'm a big fan of strategy games and i've been looking forward to this gem being ported for a little while now. If your still looking for beta testers i would be glad to help. Currently i have an HTC HD2 (rooted with MIUI 1.7.29) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Playing this on the tablet would be great , but let me know if i can help in any way!

4. RubiconDude

Nice one. I just need you to mail me as above, please.

5. jerry42570

jerry42570 Well-Known Member

E-mail sent. Looks great!

6. lbhocky19

lbhocky19 Member

how do you capture bases with engineers...

7. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert

Same way you attack with a soldier: tapping on it. The oil refineries only take one turn, but the other larger buildings take two turns (or two engineers on the same turn).

8. vcx10

vcx10 Newbie

love this type of game like to beta test lots of spare time at work to try it htc desire 2.3 gingerbread htc upgrade via pc

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert

Well, for a beta the game is great.

I'm getting graphical glitches if I set graphics to high, and high battery drain (like even higher than with Riptide on my SGSII via Chainfire 3D, CPU usage is very high - I got 40% drain in 20 minutes!), but otherwise seems just great.

EDIT: Oh, and units are a bit fiddly to select at times.

EDIT2: Ultra settings running really nicely on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O Edition.

10. RubiconDude

Great stuff. Does sound like we have a problem with the camera starting too far up in the air on some handsets.

Will look into the cpu issue. This game does use a lot of it when the AI is thinking, but it shouldn't drain like that! :s

Is it any better with lower quality display setting?

11. NZtechfreak

Will try that out for you.

BTW, battery use is normal on my Tab.

RubiconDude likes this.
  12. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast

I have a soft spot for turn-based strategy games and I would be ecstatic to try the beta testing out.

RubiconDude likes this.
  13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Newbie

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I've got this on my iPod... and it's just... AMAZING!!! I can't wait to get it for my tablet and play it on a bigger screen!!! =oD

The devs are super supportive too... so any bugs after the release should be squashed pretty quick... really... these guys rock! =oD

RubiconDude likes this.
  14. RubiconDude

Gonna need to you mail me please, details above somewhere. Glad to have you aboard. :)

15. tyton

tyton Lurker

Playing this on my SGS2 im also finding battery drain is very fast. Plus the phone is heating up pretty quickly too. I can only imagine this means the processor is working overtime...
    Loving the game itself though. No glitches that i can find so far.

16. RubiconDude

Is this worse than any other 3D game you've played? This game is pretty intense tbh so I would expect it to use a lot more power than say a sudoku game. But it it's worse than some other full screen 3D game then there may well be a problem.

Is it better if you turn the graphics settings down a bit via the settings menu?

I guess we need to do some research of our own on this.

17. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Android Enthusiast

Hi

Been playing on my SGS2 all weekend. My comments:

1) When I click the app it takes forever to load - much longer than any other game I have. It goes black for a long time and even after I've clicked the app tile I get a message with a box asking do I want to load it.
    2) The adverts are always on during the game itself. I'm used to free games having ads on the menus or somewhere else - not on the main screen like that - it really ruins the gameplay seeing that constantly
    3) the adverts block some messages. i.e. I click on the barracks to order some new men, but I can't see the confirm message on the bottom right - only a tiny top section of it (just enough to click and thus order the men)
    4) Not a gameplay issue - but would be good to include a guide or help section that lists all of the different units and what they do.
    5) Would agree with the above messages about the battery getting really hot / drains really fast.

Fantastic game - can't wait to see the full version released :) Any more help / beta runs give me a shout !! The Isle of Wight apparently has some great developers ;)

18. RubiconDude

Thanks Matt, useful feedback. I dunno what's going on with the slow loading - other people are highlighting that too. Next beta we'll put some debug stats around that to try and track it down - it loads in about 5 seconds on all our own phones. :(

We're still working on the ads and stuff. Not sure what we'll do there - clearly they shouldn't interfere with the game!

Glad you like it notwithstanding though. :)

You're not with Batwicks bunch perchance?

19. NZtechfreak

Ah, I neglected to mention slow loading in my feedback above, is definitely an issue for me too.

Regards Galaxy S II battery drain - its definitely way faster than other full screen 3D games (even Riptide, which is the most graphically demanding game out there). Haven't had a chance to see whether turning down settings will make a difference, hopefully have time tonight. I think even if it makes some difference there is some problem in play here, since the SGSII GPU/CPU are well capable of running this game at highest settings, it really shouldn't be taxing the hardware very much at all. Anyways, more feedback later.

Great to have such a responsive developer responding to feedback here, thanks for staying in touch with us all.

Despite these problems that seem quite specific to the SGSII it must be nice to see that there are no gameplay problems whatsoever!

20. RubiconDude

It sort of is, but tbh I'd glady switch them - gameplay bugs can be found and fixed very easily :)

Thanks for the report.

21. mattdanielc

My own personal opinion... don't have the ads on during the main game. When you have lovely graphics like you do it's really off-putting seeing the big ads (especially when it covers over the barracks button!). Perhaps just limit the ads to the menus when you pause the game etc? But hey - you guys need to make a living. (just make sure the ads don't cover the buttons at least!)

God yeah - love the game even with the 'faults' I picked up on. It's near flawless honestly - like I said in email, a very polished game.

I have to be honest...I have no idea what Batwicks means?!

22. RubiconDude

nm, I though you were referring to that other company down here, Stainless (where I used to work for many happy years as head of core tech.)

Nod on the ads. Glad you love the rest of it :)

23. mattdanielc

Ah I see. Nah I was just checking out your website - your history and so on - and I guess I was a bit surprised where you guys are based. Did you move over to Isle of Wight or have you always lived there and formed the company with others?

24. RubiconDude

I moved down here many years ago. Always loved the Island, but didn't have a hope in hell that a gamedev firm would exist here. When Stainless started up I was here like a shot. Most nervous "must have this job" interview I ever attended.

Many years and the usual amount of publisher shit later, started my own firm six years ago to do work for hire contracting. Finally got sick of that also and wanted to get back to writing our own stuff our way. GLWG born.

/nutshell :)

25. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert

I've sent most of the things I've found to your email response, but I figured I'd post here from now on.

I found the load time to be fairly long as well. It takes about 12 seconds every time to load from the minute you tap "Start Great Little War Game" on the black screen to when the main menu pops up with music playing.

I played for 1.5 hours before my battery was almost dead from full with the graphics on "high." I'll try it on other settings to see if it improves at all. Compared to other 3D games (Modern Combat 2, Spiderman 3D, Samurai II: Vengeance, etc.), that seems sort of low.