• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

annoyed at my desire now..

deanshep85

Android Expert
Nov 22, 2010
UK
ok I'll point out its not the phone itself im annoyed at...just the damn errors im getting right now...ontop of a lousy internet connection on my PC stopping me download gingervillian...dammit..

right im getting force close errors in the HTC People contacts every time I go to add a new contact and add the name...it closes down on me...thats 2 days after I got a force close in the standrd messaging app which then nuked all my messages from the past which annoyed me alot but I just used handcent instead...

so yea two reasonalby major force closures....so I thought ok...reflash a new rom...of which I just flashed leedroid 2.3d on top of 2.3c I had WITHOUT a wipe...and lo and behold I still have the same issue...guess I should of wiped I take it? lol

so thought ok....look for another rom anyway if I will wipe...so thought ginger villian now that the camcorder is sorted...but now its not downloading from XDA and on the villian site I cant seem to find a link to it...just normal villian and supervillian...

someone give me a lil helping hand here lol

anyone got another link for ginger villian 1.0 also do I HAVE to download seperate kernals for things? or is that in built but ONLY if I want to do extra things?

Guess the download problem was transient - I just tried from the XDA thread and it was downloading OK for me (not fast - about 350 kB/s - but enough to complete in a few minutes).

You don't have to download a separate kernel - the built in one will probably be SVS overclockable to 1113 MHz, as that's likely to be compatible with all phones. The others are options for people who prefer HAVS (and whose phones can handle it) or want to overclock further.

Upvote 0
thanks Hadron..I did a lil reading of that SUPER long thread..and yea found that the kernals can be downloaded and installed AFTER the flashing of the ROM and through Villain Setup..

what bugs be is REGARDLESS of what I use to download it with...either Chrome or Internet Explorer...it will NOT get past 30MB always just sits there on chrome and crashes at that point on IE...

:(

Upvote 0
Strange - I just downloaded it completely right now (mac and firefox, but that shouldn't matter). Just used the download link in the first post of the thread.

Have you tried downloading directly to your phone?

I've got to go offline very soon, but if you can't get it one way or another pm me and I'll work something out (set up a dropbox or something).

Upvote 0
Strange - I just downloaded it completely right now (mac and firefox, but that shouldn't matter). Just used the download link in the first post of the thread.

Have you tried downloading directly to your phone?

I've got to go offline very soon, but if you can't get it one way or another pm me and I'll work something out (set up a dropbox or something).

thanks for the offer but its not need now :) I downloaded straight to the phone and oddly it downloaded fine...so will flash it on later..

DesireMe said:
That will probably be the ROM. I've never had a FC in the standard messaging app. Flashing ROMs sounds all good and well, but when standard parts of the phone don't work or have compatibility issues, i wander why bother?!?

I dont think it was the ROM that did it, I think it was something that I did myself...as always...human error lol

Upvote 0
That will probably be the ROM. I've never had a FC in the standard messaging app. ?!?

I have on both the desire and the hero

Flashing ROMs sounds all good and well, but when standard parts of the phone don't work or have compatibility issues, i wander why bother?!?

It won't be the Rom.

Please don't take offense, but if you haven't tried it yourself, you're never going to know why its worth it.

Although its partly subjective, but the vanilla roms are better than the sense roms.

You don't get any HTC apps but the android ones work better. Contacts has no bugs for example, unlike people.

So some functionality is missing compared to HTC apps, but at least the functionality that is there works

Upvote 0
yea thanks...

though I've run into a major hurdle now..

I fortmatted the memory card first of all in the phone and it formatted everything but the partition....problem is NOW everything reads the card at 6.2GB or 6.5 in patition magic....

how the hell did this happen and how do I fix this? I cant get it back to its 7.2 or however much an 8GB truly is...

help someone :(

Upvote 0
OK, bit late for this, but in case it helps someone else: if you were already using the a2sd version of LeeDroid there was no need to format the card - you already had the ext partition. A full wipe means the phone, not the card.

As to the problem, you say it formatted "everything but the partition", which I assume means that you haven't formatted the whole card but just the fat32 partition. So the question is, what are these programs looking at when the report the size of the card: the whole card, or the fat32 partition? Because if it's the latter, then taking the real capacity of the card and subtracting the ext partition might well give you numbers like this.

If you really want to reformat the whole thing, or to be sure about what the size and partitioning of the device is, I'd generally recommend GParted. But if it's possible that you've just reformatted the fat32 partition, we might be able to avoid that hassle.

Upvote 0
And you're mounting as usb mass storage from clockworkmod recovery?

no not in the slightest...im not touching clockwork...

im mounting as USB mass storage in windows and I get 6.42GB recorded size....and if I then reboot machine and boot of the LinuxLive creator thing on my SEPERATE USB stick to partition it...it again just sees 6.5GB as unallocated space...and its the ONLY thing it sees on there...nothing else..

and I would download gparted but for some damn reason my vodafone dongle is refusing the complete downloads....first the gingervillain download...now gparted...it just stops on 6MB....

oh im annoyed more now :(

Upvote 0
I don't understand. You say you're mounting it in windows? What device? Card reader?

In your desire, unless you mount from clockworkmod or amon ra recovery as usb mass storage, you WILL NOT see the ext partition. Android doesn't mount the ext partition and Windows can't see it.

Im doing it as the original instructions to deal with partions for android said...though I cant remember where from now :|

but they said instill linuxlive creator...reboot windows into it....connect desire by disk drive mode...and then run partition magic (or creator...cant remember the exact name now im getting stressed lol)

then select the card for partion'ing...which in this case would be the 8GB in my desire...it would show techincally 7.5GB as thats how its formatted via fat32...anyways...

from then on you can select the unallocated space and then partition it....simple...BUT heres the issue..

when I do all that it shows the partitioned space as JUST the 6.5GB its NOT seeing the other 1GB partition...which was CREATED by the same program only a month or so back...and I KNOW it should show the partition because I screwed a reflash back then and needed to reformat the memory card back to stock...and the partion program showed BOTH the ext3 partition (1GB) and the Fat32 partition (6.5GB)....

so im not seeing the ext3 partition anymore ONLY the fat32...

Upvote 0
OK, if you mount as usb mass storage in windows it will only see the fat partition, so the reduced size of that is no surprise at all - it's the size of the card minus the size of the partition. In fact my mac does the same.

Does your linuxlive have GParted already? It might be there as a system administration tool. I'm most familiar with ubuntu or fedora derivatives, and with ubuntu it's included in the live CD (as an installation tool) but if you install to hard drive you then have to reinstall GParted if you want it. But have a look in the administration menus (I'm assuming your LinuxLive creator is just a live usb of some linux distro), as it may be there already.

Upvote 0
OK, if you mount as usb mass storage in windows it will only see the fat partition, so the reduced size of that is no surprise at all - it's the size of the card minus the size of the partition. In fact my mac does the same.

Does your linuxlive have GParted already? It might be there as a system administration tool. I'm most familiar with ubuntu or fedora derivatives, and with ubuntu it's included in the live CD (as an installation tool) but if you install to hard drive you then have to reinstall GParted if you want it. But have a look in the administration menus (I'm assuming your LinuxLive creator is just a live usb of some linux distro), as it may be there already.

I dunno if it has Gparted already...cant really check unless I reboot the machine again..

im trying again and again to download gparted and regardless of what mirror I use of the gparted site its not getting far...

so now I can add my dongle bitching at me now lol

First things: you backed up your fat partition to the PC before formatting?

you mean just backed up what was on that partition? there was only music and pictures on it...which I already backed up last night in prep for wiping..

Upvote 0
you mean just backed up what was on that partition? there was only music and pictures on it...which I already backed up last night in prep for wiping..
Really? The fat partition should also have things like your nandroid backup, and the GingerVillain zip you downloaded. Or is this a different card?

Upvote 0
Really? The fat partition should also have things like your nandroid backup, and the GingerVillain zip you downloaded. Or is this a different card?

I already chucked over the gingervillian zip to the computer just to keep it while format...

and I never bothered with a nandroid backup...I have the RUU for my phone if it needs to ever be put stock and with regards to reinstalling everything it never bothers me to do it all again...always gives me great excuse to load up different things..

hell I used to use ghost on my pc years ago....I gave up with that as I always change loadouts lol

Upvote 0
Well I'd certainly recommend doing a nandroid - because if some silly little thing, like a theme flash, messes you up it's much easier to get going again that way than going all the way back to an RUU.

So what state is the phone in? You are staying out of clockwork, so presumably you are still running LeeDroid and putting the phone in usb storage mode. So can you access the apps from your ext partition? Try loading some that you haven't used recently (so aren't likely to be in memory). If that works, I'll be fairly confident that your ext partition is OK, and it's just that the tools you are using are only seeing the fat partition.

Then the question is, is the fat partition still OK? Can you copy files to it from your PC? Or (when out of usb storage mode) can your phone read/write files to it? If it is, then perhaps we have the puzzle of why the linux live could not see the ext partition, but otherwise things are still working. In which case, do you need to change the sizes of the partitions? If not, just put the files you need onto the partition and try it anyway. But take a nandroid first! ;)

If not, can your partitioning tools format the fat32 partition and get it into a usable state?

If the ext partition isn't working (i.e. the phone can't use stuff that should be on it) then we need to work out a way of reformatting the card from scratch. That's where gparted would be handy if other things aren't working.

Upvote 0
Im doing it as the original instructions to deal with partions for android said...though I cant remember where from now :|

but they said instill linuxlive creator...reboot windows into it....connect desire by disk drive mode...and then run partition magic (or creator...cant remember the exact name now im getting stressed lol)

then select the card for partion'ing...which in this case would be the 8GB in my desire...it would show techincally 7.5GB as thats how its formatted via fat32...anyways...

from then on you can select the unallocated space and then partition it....simple...BUT heres the issue..

when I do all that it shows the partitioned space as JUST the 6.5GB its NOT seeing the other 1GB partition...which was CREATED by the same program only a month or so back...and I KNOW it should show the partition because I screwed a reflash back then and needed to reformat the memory card back to stock...and the partion program showed BOTH the ext3 partition (1GB) and the Fat32 partition (6.5GB)....

so im not seeing the ext3 partition anymore ONLY the fat32...

You're not reading what I'm typing. Not sure why Im wasting my time but ill say this one more time.

Android ONLY mounts the fat partition. You can then create an ext partition in that mounted partition.

Once that partition is created you will NEVER see that ext partition again via android.

The ONLY way you will see it is in a card reader or via recovery.

I really hope you read this post properly and understand it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones