• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoyed with my Droid X now

D

Deleted User

I have had my X since the fall and I love it. Well, until recently.
Now I get in these phases where if it gets a BIT warm it shuts down.
It also goes into constant rebooting if it even gets a WEAK signal (Which happens often at work because of the building I'm in.)
Finally without anything really running it seems to freeze up and have to restart itself.

I cannot stand to do ANOTHER hard reset and have to redo everything. I also am sick of hearing it is an apps fault. It isn't and I hardly have any apps at all.

What can be done to fix this? Will 2.3 really do anything to fix this type of problem?

Not rooted, no ATK running the lastest version of android.

I have had my X since the fall and I love it. Well, until recently.
Now I get in these phases where if it gets a BIT warm it shuts down.
It also goes into constant rebooting if it even gets a WEAK signal (Which happens often at work because of the building I'm in.)
Finally without anything really running it seems to freeze up and have to restart itself.

I cannot stand to do ANOTHER hard reset and have to redo everything. I also am sick of hearing it is an apps fault. It isn't and I hardly have any apps at all.

What can be done to fix this? Will 2.3 really do anything to fix this type of problem?

Not rooted, no ATK running the lastest version of android.

I know you said you don't want to do it but when was the last time you did a full reset?

Upvote 0
I too hate to hear factory reset as a fix.

I have to assume it isn't the OS since many others are on the same OS without this issue. Mine is overclocked and has as high as 114 degrees without freezing or shutting down.

The only thing I can suggest is taking it to Verizon. Unfortunately the first thing they're going to do is a factory reset.

Upvote 0
I don't know why people hate to do factory reset. There are options to reinstall all apps and you can restore your contacts via backup manager or manually, it's not that hard. This cures many problems. It's similar to Windows XP slowing down the longer you use it, you reinstall and bam, it works nicely again. You can SBF it too. Maybe some system files are corrupt.

Upvote 0
My friend has an EVO that acts that way with one of her batteries (she has 2 spares since the EVO sucks power as bad as the TB). Her phone works great until she puts in that one spare battery. With that battery any high drain (low signal, GPS usage, gaming etc) causes what appeared to be "random" reboots.

Find a friend with a DX and swap batteries for the day.
Good luck

Upvote 0
1) this is a support questions, so I need to move it. Hope you don't mind.
2) You should contact verizon. This is a serious issue. They may give you a replacement.
3) They'll prolly ask you to a factory reset first, though. :p

Steven

NO problem about the move.

I did two factory resets today while on the phone with VZW....end of this story is they are fedexing me a "replacement" phone tomorrow. This phone is still cycling on and off all day. Even with a weak signal it should not be getting warm and doing this (so says the tech).

I'm just very disappointed by this. Such an expensive phone, and problems like this really make me want to move away from the moto brand.

Upvote 0
NO problem about the move.

I did two factory resets today while on the phone with VZW....end of this story is they are fedexing me a "replacement" phone tomorrow. This phone is still cycling on and off all day. Even with a weak signal it should not be getting warm and doing this (so says the tech).

I'm just very disappointed by this. Such an expensive phone, and problems like this really make me want to move away from the moto brand.

Good luck with that, no brand has 100% satisfaction.

Upvote 0
no brand is going to be perfect...no matter how much a device costs there are going to be defective units...

I do understand that, but the fact that it worked flawlessly from Aug to Jan and then since Jan I've had to hard reset it 3 times and now it is doing this overheating/rebooting problem constantly.

What happened...what changed? Is it "really" as software glitch and how did that happen?

Upvote 0
I do understand that, but the fact that it worked flawlessly from Aug to Jan and then since Jan I've had to hard reset it 3 times and now it is doing this overheating/rebooting problem constantly.

What happened...what changed? Is it "really" as software glitch and how did that happen?

could be a software glitch...could be a failed piece of hardware...could be anything...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones