1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Annoying Ads

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lrantisi, Jul 29, 2013.

1. lrantisi

lrantisi Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2013
    Few times every day without I do anything, the web browser gets opened by itself showing Ads feom this website

http://ads.glispa.com/

That is annoying to me, how can I stop it ?:):rolleyes:

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    It might be aggressive advertising, pushed by ad networks like AirPush, Leadbolt etc. and caused by a recently installed or updateted app on your phone.

This thread's first post by Hadron could help you to catch the culprit app ...
    Push Advertising

Harry

3. DABIGGDOG

DABIGGDOG Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2013
    i also had this issue. find out what app is doing it and disable notifications through your app manager.

4. lrantisi

lrantisi Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2013
    But how can I know what is the application that is doing that ????

5. ComputerGranny

Jun 27, 2011
    Female
    Retired
    Everywhere in continental U.S.
    I use Addons Detector. It does a good job of detecting what apps have ads in them, is small & free.

6. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
  7. dashcroft

dashcroft Lurker
    None

Oct 28, 2013
    I have tied this app and a number of others and they find no problems yet I still have this issue with ads.glispa.com/

I don't even have to open any app. I unlock my phone and suddenly my browser opens (either the browser or chrome). runs this site then redirects to google play asking me to install various apps such as some games, a few dating related apps and some rather misogynistic apps.

I have disabbled notifications as well for all my apps. This started happening last week so I uninstalled all the apps that updated or that I installed since it started happening to no avail.

This is very frustrating since I read the reviews of the apps I install and I try to avoid apps that look suspicious.

8. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Maybe this new kind of ad as pop ups need a new approach for catching the app that caused this.
    Using its need for data for to build this ad for the pop up.

I take it that this culprit app needs data for its pop up. You could proof this when there wouldn't pop ups while you switch off mobile data and WiFi.

I use an app which logs the background data of apps, 'Network Connections' from Play Store.
    Install and run the app (start Live Capture) ... and after the ad pops up you might see an active app that should not sending/receiving data.

9. nnk_ascii

nnk_ascii Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2014
    Did anyone figure this out? I just got my Galaxy S4 (Verizon) yesterday and I'm seeing the exact same issue. Installed the recommended trace apps and waiting for it to happen again but figured I would see if a solution was found.
    Also, my phone is rooted and I'm hoping that isn't part of the problem, though I can't imagine it is.

10. pckarma112

pckarma112 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2012
    God, I hate adware. I read at least one of you is rooted. Hate to say this. But, depending on where you got the files to root your phone? You may have been infected then. Yep, it happens. There are some evil idiots out there inserting this code. Only get your root files from the Dev that created it.
    In the mean time. Since your rooted. You can try adaway. If both of you are rooted. Please try it. I'm guessing your host's file is infected. If so, adaway can clean it up. You won't find it on the play store. AdAway | sufficiently secure
    You can get it at link above. It does write to the system partition. That is a no no for play store rule's now. Has to do it to do its job. You can also back up your original host file too.
    So, just a suggestion. Try it if you like. Or not. But, if you have tried all the other ad apps and their not finding anything? May be your last resort before a factory reset. Good luck.

tube517 likes this.
  11. nnk_ascii

nnk_ascii Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2014
    The root was fine. Turns out I installed a clock widget that was causing the ads.
    On a related note, neither of the suggested apps picked this up.

12. pckarma112

None

Oct 13, 2012
    That does not surprise me in the least that it would be missed. That's why there are so many of these types of ad apps out there. None of them are perfect.
    Prevention is the best defense. Hopefully you understand that point. Glad to hear your OK..

13. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Ad Away is the best ad blocker, by far. Is it 100%? No. But it's more consistent than Ad Block Plus or any other ad blocker.

Make sure you have the up to date AdAway from F-Droid app market.

14. pckarma112

None

Oct 13, 2012
    Perfect. That's what I mean by prevention.

15. Kalaiselvan Velmurugan

None

May 29, 2015
    Male
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abrc.ap.detector

16. Mahesh vykuntam

None

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    I have the same issue... its due to an malware app which only appears in the settings->apps , if we uninstall it the issue will be resolved , mostly it willbe the recent app installed in my case it is "hd super flash light"

Just uninstall what ever you found to be malware...:)