• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Annoying capital letter handling

SUroot

Extreme Android User
May 25, 2010
Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
I wanted to reply to a topic with the simple answer of "OTA".

I know we have a filter that does not let you use too many capitals (Shouting prevention) but 3 letter words should be fine.

I typed "OTA" and it changed to "Ota". I thought that was odd. I typed "Just OTA" and OTA stayed correct so I assumed that it was some sort of standard capitalisation setting to ensure the first letter of a sentence was capitalised.

I then changed the "Just" to "just" to test that and it remained "just". So what is doing this? Why can't I type "OTA" without it being changed as the first "word" of a post?

I don't think it's to do with which word is first. I know that thread titles will switch to lowercase if every single letter you typed was capitalised. So I presume posts follow the same rule, which is why adding 'Just' works.

So 'JUST OTA' wouldn't work, but 'OTA Just' would.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, like agentc said, I think the rule is as simple as that. The script looks for lowercase letters and if there are none, it reformats it for you.

SURoot said:
No, What I mean is

became

But if I put the word "Just" in front of it....

was the result... Meaning that "OTA" was unaffected, unlike if it was the first word.

So in that example, the presence of the lowercase 'ust' stops the forum interfering.

SURoot said:
However,

did not become

Would have become

I suspect

None of those examples, even the 'OTA Just', would be touched because they all have lowercase letters in them. :)

I can see your logic, since the forum will reformat posts to have a capitalised first letter if the script kicks in, but I don't think that's correct.

I'll try it with something over 6 letters:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones