• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying issue with SMS

phnar

May 24, 2010
In messages (HTC Desire), when I type 'if', it automatically suggests 'of'.

I don't want to turn off the word predictions because generally I find them very useful but I have no idea why it keeps wanting to change 'if' to 'of'; obviously with 'if' being such a common word, it's a real hassle to keep changing it.

I wonder if when I got the phone I typed 'if' and meant 'of', so changed it... but now I can't see how to get it back.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can reset the prediction?

It's driving me crazy, so any help would be massively appreciated.

I bet your running Sense? I know in the stock ui, you can tap&hold any word in the suggested words list above the keyboard and Android will save your desired word for correction.

Yep, it came with Sense (which generally I like, I have to admit).

I bet that's what I did... i.e. I typed 'if' but meant to type 'of' so tapped the word above and changed it. So, I suppose my question is... how to I get it to 'unremember' that?

Upvote 0
Yep, it came with Sense (which generally I like, I have to admit).

I bet that's what I did... i.e. I typed 'if' but meant to type 'of' so tapped the word above and changed it. So, I suppose my question is... how to I get it to 'unremember' that?

Settings>Keyboard>User Dictionary> tap and hold the offending word and tap remove

(I just went into my user dictonary to make sure I had the path correct and realized what a foul languaged man I am)

Upvote 0
Settings>Keyboard>User Dictionary> tap and hold the offending word and tap remove

(I just went into my user dictonary to make sure I had the path correct and realized what a foul languaged man I am)

Hehe! My user dictionary is full of swears too!

That's the problem though... I haven't put 'of' into the user dictionary, so it's not there to delete. I'd hoped that by writing 'if' and correcting it to 'if' over and over and over again, it'd eventually change, but it hasn't yet, and I must've done it 150+ times.

Any other ideas? Really appreciate you trying to help me out.

Upvote 0
Well that is odd. You can manually add a word in the user dictionary, you may try that. Otherwise I'm stumped...

Back up your apps to sd card and try a factory restore?

Trying to avoid that, but looks like a factory reset might be the only route.

I tried adding 'if' to the user dictionary to see if it picks up on it, but it doesn't. I tried clearing the touch input data as suggested here.

I'm running out of ideas, but it seems like such a silly little issue that would be easily fixed.

Upvote 0
It's very easy to touch the button next to the one you want. I do it frequently using qwerty in portrait mode. Auto correct helps, but sometimes there are several solutions based on where you've touched the screen. Like shoe instead of show
As others have said, the chosen word will show green, and pressing space will select this word.

Upvote 0
It's very easy to touch the button next to the one you want. I do it frequently using qwerty in portrait mode. Auto correct helps, but sometimes there are several solutions based on where you've touched the screen. Like shoe instead of show
As others have said, the chosen word will show green, and pressing space will select this word.

Sorry for being sarcastic, I thought you were taking the pi$$.

No, I'm definitely typing 'if' and it's defaulting to 'of'.

Upvote 0
Do you have word prediction enabled? As in it will guess the next word you'll use? I've had mixed results if you have that & correction enabled at the same time.

I do and, as I said above, I find it generally pretty useful. But in this case it's taking one correct word 'if' and insisting I mean another correct word 'of'. I'll live with it but it's such a niggly little issue, I can't believe there's no fix.

Upvote 0
I need to do this. What bothers me the most is the word 'ill' as I don't think I've ever used it on a sentence on my Droid. I need to delete that so I get the word I'll every time w/o needless key strokes. The one that bothers me is how the dictionary has a bunch of common words (not proper nouns) capitalized so that when you type it in the middle of the sentence lower case it defaults to the upper case version. Since it auto adjust case based on where you are in the sentence or if you have tapped the shift key I don't know why this is even an option. I know I didn't add them, that's for sure. I need to go in and delete words that have this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones