• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying Message "Prevention Information"

Whenever disconnecting or connecting to Wifi I would also get the Prevention message.
My work around, Press and hold the Prevention notification message, then stop knox and clear cache. No messages since.

This is when i get the msg as well, connecting to wifi (At home anyways, only wifi ive been on since having phone). I followed you work around advice. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I tried the S Health update as well. Unfortunately this did not fix the issue. After re-starting and turning wi-fi off and then on again, the annoying message returned.
Looking through the list of wi-fi networks available I found a bunch of networks that I had connected to (airports and home, and a couple at work) - entering each wi-fi network I clicked on 'Forget'. After doing this I had no recurrence - as long as I did not try to connect to wifi. I have restarted the Note3, disabled and re-enabled wifi (which was triggering the message previously), and the annoying message is not being triggered anymore - as long as I do not try to connect to any wi-fi source. Next I tried to connect to a wifi network, and hey presto - the Knox "prevention" message comes up again... so, it looks like Wifi may be the culprit. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Okay. To start with Samsung Kox is a 200MB Download when you first start it up to use it. After that and settings up passwords and PINs you are presented with a new homescreen but with all your old icon placements. What this has to do woth the Prevention Message is beyond me. Anywho oncw tha's done you can uninstall or force stop. I don't have a convienient Wifi Network to log on to at the time so I'll have to wait until I get home. I'll update around 8:00 AM EST and let you know if the message comes back when I connect to my home network.

Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Nope. Force stopped everything remotely related to knox including thr com.sec stuff and KLMS, cleared the cache on all that although V.1 of knox refused the command to clear cache, rebooted with Wifi off and restarted the phone. Same old message appeared. If nothing else I think that narrows it down to knox V.1 sending the message. Seriously though, I can live with it. It's not like I connect to multiple Wifi networks throughout the day. I only see it once then clear the message.

Upvote 0
After hours of diagnostic work, here's what works for me. It's been 4 days and the pesky message has not returned. Next I passed this on to the guys at work that were experiencing this, and it fixed all six of theirs as well.

If you follow these steps in order I'm confident this will work for those of you with this common and annoying error message.

1) Shut down all running apps.
2) Perform a restart.
3) Go to: Settings/General/Applications Mgr/All

For T-Mobile N3:
Select Outlook Security/clear cache and data

For AT&T N3:
Select Trust Go Security/clear cache and data

Shut off your N3 for approx 30 seconds, then reboot.

That's it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. But I cannot find Trust Go Security under all in App Manager on my AT&T N3. Any suggestions? Thanks!

After hours of diagnostic work, here's what works for me. It's been 4 days and the pesky message has not returned. Next I passed this on to the guys at work that were experiencing this, and it fixed all six of theirs as well.

If you follow these steps in order I'm confident this will work for those of you with this common and annoying error message.

1) Shut down all running apps.
2) Perform a restart.
3) Go to: Settings/General/Applications Mgr/All

For T-Mobile N3:
Select Outlook Security/clear cache and data

For AT&T N3:
Select Trust Go Security/clear cache and data

Shut off your N3 for approx 30 seconds, then reboot.

That's it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. But I cannot find Trust Go Security under all in App Manager on my AT&T N3. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The multinational company I work for offers a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) option. We pay, and they obtain the approved Note 3 models via the discounted Corp account for us. They all have Trust Go Security, I just asked our IT mgr, he said it's not specifically for us, but a std app on the phones. Sorry I don't know why yours doesn't.

Reactions: DaddyWhale
Upvote 0
I don't have TrustGo, or Outlook Security.

Last night, using perhaps not the most scientific approach, I cleared caches of many apps. I restarted the device whilst standing in the light of a full moon. I removed the battery, I polished the SIM card, I got an old priest and a young priest to exorcise daemons. To no avail. This morning I turned the phone on, and the error message came straight back.
So, continuing with my religous fervour, this morning I've stopped any automatic updates and taken every service and installed app back to factory settings. I've removed the apps that I installed just before this pesky message started - Shazam, Tower Defense, and as it seems to have helped some others here, also stripped out S Health and 2 Ant apps.

After a restart, I've not had any relapses, but I'm just waiting for the sequel.

Upvote 0
If it was a program asking for root access then su would have prompted me to grant it or deny it. It just about has to be a native samsung app and I'm also inclined to think it has something to do with either the date or like suggested in the xda thread a google app update (more likely). My phone never got any updates from sprint or samsung before I rooted it and now it won't take updates. That rules out a firmware update causing it.

And the fact that it is happening to phones regardless of carrier or current update makes me think it has to be an app update. The likely-hood of so many people having the problem all running the same set of apps is pretty slim, that points me towards a google or samsung app that has had a recent update from the play store. I think I'll start uninstalling those updates one at a time and see what happens.

Strange, I was coming here to post screenshots of it and ask for advice on what it was and then I saw this thread. That makes me feel a lot better.

The funny thing about this error is the first time I got it I opened android tuner and looked at the list of system apps running and found the same icon and opened it up. I remember it was pointing to an app in system but I didn't have time to fool with it then and now I can't find the icon anymore in the list. I just didn't want to freeze it until I figured out what it was. I should have taken a screenshot...

Upvote 0
I only started getting these irritating messages near the end of last week and they came out of nowhere. There was no app that I installed outside of the play store and the culprit is Knox. I am not using my phone to access the corporate network so have none of the Knox crap installed - just what Samsung has running by default. Clearing the cache and data of Knox appears to make it stop complaining every time I hook into a wireless network but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, rebooting the phone results in the problem coming back.

Upvote 0
I started to have that same message yesterday. Today I received a pop up indicating a Security Update and clicked on it and so far no more annoying message even after reboots and wifi reconnections.
Welcome to the forums madmax168. When you installed that security update did it say where it was from, or what it was for?

Upvote 0
I actually didn't check where it was from but I just clicked OK and so far no more such Prevention Information message. My Note 3 is from Smart Philippines and unrooted with 4.3 N9005XXUBMJ1.

Probably it might have been from Samsung to update the security certificate for some of the Samsung Apps that have been updated.

Upvote 0
But it was only a security certificate update pop up message. It wasn't a firmware update at all since it finished in a few seconds unlike when they updated the software which took a few minutes and a reboot too. Samsung probably will be seeding the same security updates to other countries within the day to correct probably one of their app updates that probably triggered this problem.

Is there a way where I can check what it was? I don't have an idea of where to check the update logs. I'm kinda new to Android and just accepts any updates that pop ups:)

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones