• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying new look with 4.4.2 update

rickGamer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2012
So I updated my Nexus 7 today after noticing that there was an update available, I also re-rooted it. However I am now having a problem with the bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

My home screen now looks like this after the update:

2013-12-14%2022.21.28.png

As you can see there is no black bar behind the icons at the top (wifi, time ect) and there's also no black bar behind the back and home icons at the bottom. Also the app drawer icon has changed where as I much prefer the original :thinking:

It used to look like this:

Screenshot_2013-03-03-23-09-43.png

Again I much prefer the original style, is there anyway I can change it back to the way it was? I'm using the Nova launcher by the way, does that need an update to change it back the way it was?

Also, if there's no fix for this issue at this time, is there at least a way I can remove that black and blue battery indicator on the top left of the screen? It sticks out like a sore thumb without the black bar there :(

Should have looked at the Nova settings first really, I've sorted it now, thanks for the tip, all I need now is to get the app drawer icon back the way it was but that doesn't seem possible via the Nova launcher, ah well I'll have to try and get used to it.

Thanks again.

Should be able to long press on it and change what the icon is...

Upvote 0
i'm actually quite fond of the transparent bars. makes it look less 'shrunk'. maybe i'm crazy in that belief? i never liked all the screen being reduced and real estate taken up by the nav bar. now it looks like part of the screen vs. separate. and i never liked digital blue. always hurts my eyes. bright blues. i love the white/grey icons up top now.

Upvote 0
What is annoying for me though is that you can't see if there is any network traffic without dragging down the status bar. I liked being able to see if I was downloading/uploading anything at a glance and know if something is wrong if the icon gets stuck.

Google decided it took up more CPU cycles/ battery life than it was worth.

As nick points out. Many custom Roms have this added back in if you prefer it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones