• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying notifications

Jeff Ruben

Lurker
Apr 23, 2018
After the most recent system update I now constantly get phantom pings/notifications. Seems that whenever the GPS finds my location it notifies me with sound as if I am receiving an email or text. I cannot understate how annoying this is for me because the number of notifications is now 10x what they should be. How can I stop the phone from alerting me every time it finds a Wi-Fi network or my location???

Do you get a visible notification in the notification shade? If you do then sliding it to the side (not swiping away) should give you options to control the notification. If not, how do you know what is producing the notification?

Bottom line is you need to identify which app is producing it, then you can turn it off (I once spent 2 weeks trying to track down something like this, which turned out to be a battery monitor which bleeped whenever the battery temperature went above some threshold...).

Upvote 0
Hmm, doesn't necessarily tell us what app. The actual location service on Oreo doesn't pop up any notifications for me (though I have a different phone), so this isn't intrinsic to the OS. But maybe try going through all apps in the settings (including system ones) and disabling notifications for those that look likely to be location related, one at a time, until you find the culprit. The actual location service is called "fused location", so an obvious starting point, but I've not blocked notifications from that and don't get this. Maybe particularly anything that seems to be a HTC location app, since this isn't common behaviour? But it could possibly be a third-party app as well.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've not met this myself.

Upvote 0
You may want to try to go into settings and then Location. Three down is a setting called "App level permissions". There is a list of all the apps that have permission to use your phone's location. I'm not positive, but I would think its one of those apps that's causing your problem. If you turn off one at a time, you should find the guilty app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones