• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Annoying Pop-Up

Willum0806

May 4, 2020
Hi,
I have a really annoying problem regarding a pop-up which has just started to appear on my Galaxy S7...( Android 8.0.0 : Patch level 1 March 2020)

It appears every few minutes when I'm using my phone and is really "doing my head in" and I can't get rid of it. The pop-up is as follows :

Quote: Improve location accuracy
Help apps find your location more quickly and accurately using Google's location service. Google may collect location data periodically and use this data in an anonymous way to improve local accuracy and location-based services.

This service is active when location is on and High accuracy, or Battery saving mode is selected.

DISAGREE AGREE
End of Quote.

I click on the DISAGREE option but it just keeps coming back.... I refuse to click on AGREE....
I don't like the idea of Google 'possibly' collecting my location data - there is more than enough snooping on our privacy without adding to it by agreeing to more....

The popup states "This service is active when location is on and High accuracy, or Battery saving mode is selected."
I checked these settings and the Location is set to 'Phone Only' and the Battery saving mode is OFF. Even if I turn off the Location setting, when the Popup appears, it turns the Location setting back ON !!!

There are many other reports of this particular intrusion on the internet, going back to 2018.
If I disable the WiFi then the popup does not appear.... As soon as I re-enable WiFi the popup immediately reappears.

Any advice on how to get rid of this Pest would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: puppykickr
Hi,
I have a really annoying problem regarding a pop-up which has just started to appear on my Galaxy S7...( Android 8.0.0 : Patch level 1 March 2020)

It appears every few minutes when I'm using my phone and is really "doing my head in" and I can't get rid of it. The pop-up is as follows :

Quote: Improve location accuracy
Help apps find your location more quickly and accurately using Google's location service. Google may collect location data periodically and use this data in an anonymous way to improve local accuracy and location-based services.

This service is active when location is on and High accuracy, or Battery saving mode is selected.

DISAGREE AGREE
End of Quote.

I click on the DISAGREE option but it just keeps coming back.... I refuse to click on AGREE....
I don't like the idea of Google 'possibly' collecting my location data - there is more than enough snooping on our privacy without adding to it by agreeing to more....

The popup states "This service is active when location is on and High accuracy, or Battery saving mode is selected."
I checked these settings and the Location is set to 'Phone Only' and the Battery saving mode is OFF. Even if I turn off the Location setting, when the Popup appears, it turns the Location setting back ON !!!

There are many other reports of this particular intrusion on the internet, going back to 2018.
If I disable the WiFi then the popup does not appear.... As soon as I re-enable WiFi the popup immediately reappears.

Any advice on how to get rid of this Pest would be very much appreciated.

If it is a 'toast' popup message, there is an app that I use called Toast Source that will tell you what app is posting the annoying message.

This allows you to change the notification settings for that app so that the message no loner appears.

Another way, that is much more drastic, is to put pour device into Priority Only Mode (an option of Do Not Disturb) and then allow only the apps that you want notifications from to override do not disturb (once again with each app's notification setting).

https://m.apkpure.com/toast-source/pl.revanmj.toastsource

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply... The popup is not of the 'toast' type since one it appears, the only way to get rid is to click on DISAGREE or AGREE... it does not close by itself. However, strangely, the damned thing has not showed up at all as of this morning, so I can only hope it's gone but I won't hold my breath.....

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.....Stay Safe in these bad times.....

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply... The popup is not of the 'toast' type since one it appears, the only way to get rid is to click on DISAGREE or AGREE... it does not close by itself. However, strangely, the damned thing has not showed up at all as of this morning, so I can only hope it's gone but I won't hold my breath.....

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.....Stay Safe in these bad times.....

Then try the Priority Only method I mentioned above.

Upvote 0
Another thing you can try, and I think that I am right that you do not like Google, as per your initial post, is to disable and clear data from all of your Google apps.

Now, to be sure, unless you are rooted, it probably won't be possible to disable all of them.

But you can maintain at least a bit of privacy and sanity, and maybe even get rid of that obnoxious message.

There are a few that you must have, but often they can be minimized, both in size and scope.

The actual Google app, must run but does not need to be current.
So you can delete the data and uninstall all the updates.

You must go back in and reset all your settings in Google at that point. Your account is still there and active, but all your privacy settings and ad settings must be reset.

Google Play Services is another that must run constantly.

You can, however, manage data and clear most of it. If you unnstall the updates, you will have to open Google Play Store and wait for it to update the Google Play Services app.

Many other apps won't work without Google Play Services, so we are sort of stuck with this crap.

Upvote 0
If all else fails, open your Developers Settings and check your Running Apps. Also tap where it says Cached Apps.

Keep a mental note of what you see here normally.

When that message appears again, go to Developers Settings and Running Apps and see if anything is different.

If nothing appears here, tap where it says 'Cached Apps'.

A 'new' app appearing at this time could be the culprit.
Check the notification settings for that app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones