1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Annoying Popup

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rohbot15, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Rohbot15

Rohbot15 Lurker

Hi guys!

First post here on this forum site but use it loads as it is very helpful. Anyway I have a problem with my Galaxy Note... I download apk files from 4shared and tried to downloadone eearlier, but it was a cracked app app if you know what I mean but I installed it anyway..
    Realise it was useless and un installed it but now I keep getting g theserreally annoying popups when I'm not even on the Internet... Check out the screen shot I attached. Now when I click Internet it just takes me to some random site. It's really bugging me as I don't know how to get rid of it and it pops up every 2 minutes... I'm rooted of that helps

Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

First the DONT USE CRACKED APPS speech.... lol ill spare you that, youve learnt the lesson :beer: but DONT!

Have you tried scanning with an app like Lookout Ad Network Detector?
    The dodgy app has maybe added a bookmark to your browser or maybe even made it your homepape. Try changing home page in your browser settings or if that fails, find the browser in applications manager and clear data (youll lose bookmarks and settings) :thumbup:

P.s, wheres the screenshot? :beer:

Mikestony and mikedt like this.
  3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Sounds like air push to me. Get any little plus or heart signs up top too? I try to avoid free apps from even legit sites like Play and try to pay if possible, as many free apps lately display the "this app is free but pays for itself through air push" after it is launched. Never says that in the app description. To avoid it I always pay if it is possible. You support the developer, and you get a more polished app.

Mikestony likes this.
  4. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

This makes you an unfortunate poster child for why you should only download from legit sources.

First, I would download every antivirus app available one by one to try to rid the malicious software. Just download one and if it doesn't work - remove that antivirus and try another. Lookout, AVG and avast all get decent reviews. Need I say, download them from the Play Store please?

Unless, someone has a better idea, I think you are infected and the only thing yo can do is reset the phone. There is obviously an undetected app that was installed when you installed what you thought you were installing.

Mikestony, funkylogik and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That's probably what the OP will have to do, especially given that the phone was rooted as well. Think this one has been well and truly pwned by the sound of it. .

Mikestony and funkylogik like this.
  6. funkylogik

Yeah. Ive always been honest about (but not proud of) the fact that i used to use cracked apps. All sorts of buggy crap used to happen and after i decded to stop using them i reset the phone and started with a clean slate :beer:

Now i only sideload apps if they arent available on Play :thumbup:

EDIT ^^ i just reread my post and it sounds like an anti-drugs speech :D

Mikestony likes this.
  7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Welcome Rohbot!!

+1 to what the above had said...
    -funky's suggestion of using Lookout and clearing the data/cache in the browser app.
    -nick and gt about the possible air push or virus issue and just might have to either factory reset or flash a new, fresh rom.

funkylogik likes this.
  8. nickdalzell

Even through Google Play I've discovered many free apps lately hiding air push. The thing is, they never list that in the app description, I suppose to avoid Google taking it down. Instead, they seem to wait until after the app is installed and on first launch, display that they use air push, unfortunately by then it's too late :( and air push especially has a nasty habit of remaining buried in the system even after you uninstall the app responsible for it

9. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Angry birds uses something similar to air push. They ad a ton of stupid ads that push me away (to PVZ!)

10. nickdalzell

I paid for the ad free version of Birds too, and pay if possible to avoid such in game/app advertising which tends to slow them down.

11. funkylogik

For people (like me) who cant be bothered to read app permissions i totally recommend Ad Detector by Swiss Codemonkeys.
    It just sits there doing nothing until you install an app that has permissions that you should maybe worry about. A lot of the time it does flag up things that shouldnt really be worried about but its good to see the risks show up right in front of you than to be oblivious to them :thumbup:

12. Rohbot15

Rohbot15 Lurker

Cheers for all the help guys!! Tried everything but ended up resetting the whole phone! Gonna stay away from apk files now haha never really thought that you are cheating the developers!! Once again thank you for all your help