1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Annoying S2 Power Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Things, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Things

Things Lurker

Hey, I've tried asking around on a few forums about this, but haven't had all that many replies.

I've had my Galaxy S2 for a few months now, I bought it 2nd hand but never used from a friend.

In the lats month or so, the phone has this issue where it'll just randomly turn itself off. Not a proper shutdown, just die instantly as if you ripped the battery out. This can happen at any time, right in the middle of using it, while it's sleeping it. I have noticed it is a lot less common while it is on charge, however, but I can't confirm it hasn't happened at all on charge.

Anyway, once the phone goes dead, it'll either do 3 things. 1. It'll let you just turn it back on again, 2. You'll have to remove the battery and put it back on before it'll start again, or 3. and the most common, you have to plug in the charger before it'll turn on again.

I originally had Cyanogenmod7.1 on it, but the other night I upgraded to CM9 ICS to see if it would fix the issue - nope :(

I am considering buying a cheap 3rd party battery from eBay for $5 to see whether it is a battery issue. I have some suspicions that maybe the protection circuitry in the battery is faulting and killing the power.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Dan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Android Enthusiast

Could the contacts between the battery and phone be dirty? Perhaps the phone thinks the battery's dead or is overheating?

What is the charge level when it happens - or when you turn the phone back on?

You could install something like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.WazaBe.android.BatteryDrain

Or this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.smapho.battery_mix

They might help isolate when its switching off and what's happening at the time.

Why waste your money on a cheap generic battery when you can get a genuine one from Play for a tenner.

Sleek Genuine New Samsung EB-F1A2GBUC Battery for Galaxy SII/ i9100 S2 - Batteries Mobiles at Play.com (UK)

eta; oops, just seems you've said $5 - guess you're not in the UK - still wouldn't buy a cheap generic battery though.

ivanover likes this.
  3. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I strongly suspect hardware fault.
    Perhaps a short on the board or liquid damage.

Get it checked by a professional.

4. Things

Things Lurker

Has anyone had to get their S2 checked out before? Are the repair prices reasonable?

I bought a new genuine battery of eBay last night, really hope it's the issue, however I'm not going to be surprised if it isn't.

@speedycolzalez

The battery level seems fine most of the time. I have noticed it reporting a slightly lower reading sometimes after it's done it, though that could be just an error until the phone can calculate the remaining level properly.

The reason I suspected the battery is because I know with some generic lithium ion battery cells with protection circuitry, once you short/undervolt them, the protection in the battery won't output power again until it's plugged into the charger. So I am hoping that is maybe the case here. We'll see I suppose :)

Cheers,
    Dan

5. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

That totally depends on the service outlet and your local prices.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews