1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Annoying Sound Notification SMS Bug

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by captainm27, Dec 26, 2011.

1. captainm27

captainm27 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Has anyone experinced this? You have SMS opened in the middle of a chat with someone. You press the power button to turn your screen off. Later, you come back to see that the person sent you a message, but you didn't hear the notification sound. That's what keeps happening to me. If I exit the SMS app, or just go one step back to where you see the list of people whom you talked to, then I will get the notification sound that someone just texted me. Weird, huh?

Advertisement

2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I personally don't find that it's a bug. If I'm in the middle of a conversation with someone and am expecting that they'll reply, I'll know to check my phone. Where I'd consider it a bug is if I was in the middle of a conversation with someone and the phone kept beeping at me. If you exit the actual conversation to your "All Messages" page, I believe it'll notify you then. Otherwise, if you have the message opened I wouldn't expect the phone to beep at you that there is a message.

3. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    I have to agree with TxGoat here. If you have the actual message box open and are in a convo with that person why would you get a beep even if you turn the screen off. If you are expecting it to take so long for the person to respond to you that you turn the screen off as a precaution then I'd take the extra second to back out one screen so you get the beep. It's not a bug in my eyes at all.

4. captainm27

None

Jun 8, 2010
    Well, here's the thing: My old Droid Incredible would notify me with a sound anytime an SMS came. I find the notification useful for me, as I am constantly walking around at work doing different jobs and like to keep the conversation window open. I just feel like if it worked with the Incredible, HTC should have kept it here.

5. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I think a lot of simple functions like that were dumped in the name of battery preservation. I know with older phones the phone would actually come on when a text came in. If you notice that isn't the case with the Rezound. I personally like it the way it is now as opposed to the alternative which is having it beep at me constantly. Is hitting the "back" button once worth not having the device repeatedly beep? For me it is, then again I'm sure we all have different opinions of how the device should function.

I tend to stay engaged with a text message until I've told the other party that I'm leaving the conversation. I just figure it's proper etiquette. But I think as more and more generations pop on the scene, each develop their own form of communication and their own style. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I remember when you'd only text someone to convey a message that couldn't be addressed via a phone call "I'm busy, I'll call you later", "I'm going to be late".

For now I'd say your best bet is to just back out of your current conversation if you're going to do something else.

6. captainm27

None

Jun 8, 2010
    I guess everyone has their preference. I had the Droid Incredible for 1.5 years, and just got really used to that specific setup. Oh well! I'll get over it. Thanks for the reply though, appreciate it.

7. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I can definitely understand getting used to a certain setup only to have them change the interface. Microsoft is probably one of the worst offenders of that in the business. I remember when I installed Office 2010 and they had moved where the "Send/Receive" button was located. They moved it to the top left corner and made it a smaller button. Even though it wasn't that drastic a move, I was like, "WTH?". I guess we definitely are creatures of habit.

8. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    Get "missed reminder" in the app store. You can set times (in minutes) to remind of you of a missed call/sms/mms. I use it all the time, just for moments like this.

9. captainm27

None

Jun 8, 2010
    Oh yes, Microsoft for sure is the worst offender! That's why our business is still running Windows XP and Office 2003, even though the PC's we've been ordering come with 4GB of RAM and Sandy Bridge based processors with Windows 7.

Tags: