1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Annoying "system notifications"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nhyrum, Feb 7, 2021.

1. nhyrum

nhyrum Lurker

Alright, so with this new update, v11, almost all my apps are stuck using the system notifications tone, which... You can't change from the few, suck ass, tones. Messages, emails and Facebook messenger are about the only apps that use my set notification. I've tried using zedge, I've tried a whole host of things, and I'm about ready to just kill all notifications. How. The. Hell... Can I get back to having my ringtones... F Google...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Or maybe F Samsung? Because I have a Pixel 2 running Android 11, and it made no difference to which apps can use different notifications. Basically if the app developer included an option to choose you can, and if they didn't then you have to use the system default tone (but I can choose one of mine for that: any sound file you put in the Notifications folder in your internal storage can be selected by the system sound picker. and I can choose a different sound picker if I want).

I don't use Zedge, and don't know what Samsung might have done in A10. But as someone who's OS is provided entirely by Google, rather than Google + Samsung, A11 is no different from A8, A9 or A10 as far as notification tones is concerned.

So maybe if you tell us what you used to do that no longer works?

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. nhyrum

nhyrum Lurker

Alright, I thought that was clear. I used to be able to change my notification tones. Even by app. I cannot now. My notification ringtone that I can set only works for messenger. Gmail still has it's own, and Facebook uses it's own. Everything else is stuck using the system notification ringtone, which is locked to about 3 different lame ass tones.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's surprisingly hard to be unambiguous when typing short messages, because your context is not the same as the reader's. Even now I'm not quite sure what "even by app" means: within the app whose notification you wish to change or using a different app? And assuming the latter is that using this other app as a sound picker (when you select to change the notification you can choose which app you use - provided you don't set one of them as the default) or in some other way?

Anyway, have you put your notification tones in a folder called "Notifications" in your internal storage? That's been the standard place to put them for at least the last decade, and still works in Android 11. If that isn't working on your phone then that's something that Samsung have done, it's not Android. In that case maybe see if you can work out what app is being used as the sound picker (the thing that allows you to choose a sound clip when you try to set a notification tone), locate it in Settings (I believe Samsung rename the submenu as "App Manager" rather than just "Applications" or "Apps & Notifications") and clear any defaults for it - if you can do that it ought to ask you which app you want to use, and then you can see whether something else (a file browser, Zedge, whatever) can do a better job.

Good luck.

ocnbrze likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 8/12GB RAM, Exynos 9820 processor, and 4100mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews